Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software Engineer vs. Cyber Security Career

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 guthixwalk9

guthixwalk9

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

Hello,

I am currently a senior in high school, and I'm on the big step of picking my major and college. I've always been interested in programming and game design, but later found interest in software engineering after learning how popular game programming is. I really like programming, but lately I've been having a second thought on switching to Cyber Security, as that's going to be a big field in the future. I picked up a class in my junior year that involves networking and security; now, I am taking the advanced security route. I enjoy it, yet it doesn't seem like it involves programming at all. I've done research on job growth and job pay, but am unsure on what to do. Right now, I plan on going to double major in both Software Engineering and Cyber Security as a local college offers that option, but I don't know if that's the right choice. My biggest fear with this is that I can't do both at the same time if I get both degrees. Anyone in these careers that would like to give some advice and insight on this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Cyber Security is going to be the hot job for a while.  Between the two it will probably be easier to get a job in Cyber Security, once you have your degree (and hopefully a few certifications).  Everyone needs Cyber Security, not so much with a Software Engineer.  However, if you're not interested in Cyber Security, go with the Software Engineer.  Trust me, you don't want to be doing a job where showing up to work is hard.

All of that said, I do neither.  A job that could utilize both degrees would be a penetration tester (Pen Tester).  A pen tester is someone who is hired to test an organization's security.  Sneakers is a movie that involves pen testing.

#3 bug-rem

bug-rem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

Cyber Security is a great field to carve your name into, although it requires a lot of blood and sweat. You can aspire to become an ethical hacker if this line really interests you but if you love programming then I would advise you to go for software engineering only. Both are good. Everything depends on your passion. After all, what really matters at the end of the day is how satisfied you are with your work. Gud luck!!

https://bugrem.com/

#4 guthixwalk9

guthixwalk9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Cyber Security is going to be the hot job for a while.  Between the two it will probably be easier to get a job in Cyber Security, once you have your degree (and hopefully a few certifications).  Everyone needs Cyber Security, not so much with a Software Engineer.  However, if you're not interested in Cyber Security, go with the Software Engineer.  Trust me, you don't want to be doing a job where showing up to work is hard.

All of that said, I do neither.  A job that could utilize both degrees would be a penetration tester (Pen Tester).  A pen tester is someone who is hired to test an organization's security.  Sneakers is a movie that involves pen testing.

Thank you very much for your reply, I have looked into being a pen tester before, as that's something my teacher brings up if someone wants to be a "good hacker". I really appreciate the time and the advice. What about Cybersecurity engineers? Or Software engineers for a cyber security company?

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

Thank you very much for your reply, I have looked into being a pen tester before, as that's something my teacher brings up if someone wants to be a "good hacker". I really appreciate the time and the advice. What about Cybersecurity engineers? Or Software engineers for a cyber security company?

A little late to the party - but ah well!  :)

I'm actually a Cyber Security Engineer for my company. I went to college for a degree in "Cyber Security". I'll be two years (in may) at my current job, before that I did almost 2 years as a software support engineer.

Cyber Security Engineer isn't always glamorous. Though I enjoy it. I get to delve into security investigations and checking out different alerts from our SIEM and such. It can be fun, it can also be a pain and tedious. I have written up a ton of documents on how to do different things in our Identity Access Management system, made power points for presentations.. etc etc. Its a bit of everything. Each company is gonna be a bit different on what you might do in the same role I'm in. If you work as a SOC analyst you'll mostly do investigations on security events. If you are a 'engineer' you'll do more environment type things like taking care of the SIEM, AV programs, etc.

Anyway - there is so many different ways you can go in Security. Definitely a good way to go!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 ethanscott

ethanscott

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

If I could add my own experience, I would like to say that game development is a very prospective field. Agreed that I had to take a few course and unity tutorial so that I get an idea of game development platforms, I have to say it really paid off.

I did not have much idea of what I would be doing once I join this field, but now I am actually hooked to this job. Coding extensive graphics and getting to do test runs and finding bugs is really something I enjoy doing.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users