Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Skype with Wine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:05 AM

I have found instructions here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/359023/how-to-run-windows-skype-on-ubuntu-using-wine

"4. Install using PlayOnLinux

Start PlayOnLinux
    Click 'Install a program' and then 'install a non-listed program' in the bottom left corner.
    Choose 'Install a program in a new virtual drive'. Name the drive something like 'skype6.21.32.104'.
    Check 'use another version of Wine' and 'Configure Wine'. And click next.
    Select Wine 1.9.1 and click next. [I have Wine 2.1]
    Select 32-bits windows installation and click next. [My machine is 64-bits. Is it necessary to say only 32 bits here?]
    The Wine configuration Window appears after a few seconds. At the bottom of the Window, select Windows 8.1 and click 'ok'. [Is it necessary to use only Win 8.1?]
    Back to the PlayOnLinux window: click 'Browse' and select the Skype installer you just downloaded. Click next.
    Follow the Skype installer.
    Select Skype.exe and click next to create a shortcut. Give the shortcut a name and click next again to finish the installation.
    Click the Skype icon in the main PlayOnLinux window and click configure. In the general tab, add following to the Arguments field. Click another field so the arguments field is saved. (replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your credentials).

/legacylogin /username:USERNAME /"

I get as far as "click next"

There is no next in the PlayonLinux window.

The more I click the Chinese boxes of files, I get to a file called "control" When I highlight this and go back to the PlayonLinux window there is a "next" but it does not seem as if "control" is the right file.

If I click next with the control file selected PlayonLinux asks me to select a file for PlayonLinux to make a short cut. None of the files is skype.exe, so I have not opportunity to add the code provided above.

I am finding no file named "skype.exe"

Any assistance appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by Achaemenid, 26 October 2017 - 03:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

TBH, Achaemenid, if you really want to use the new, "improved" (...???), 'SnapChat'-style Skype, you'd be far better off running it on a platform that supports it.

Like MyCrudSoft's Whinedoze.

Ever since M$ took Skype over, Windows is the only platform that runs it properly. M$ have made sure of that. What used to be a brilliant VOIP client is now simply just another 'wannabe' also-ran..... Even the 64-bit 'Skype for Linux' beta isn't a patch on the old 4.3 Qt client.

At the time when those instructions were posted, the Windows and Linux Skype clients were still fairly well 'in step' with one another. Not any more. M$ have given the entire pot a good stirring, and the infra-structure is now completely different. I don't think the new 'SnapChat'-style Skype will even run under WINE nowadays.....and WINE is a fickle beast, at the best of times.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There's a multitude of open-source alternatives that are as good, if not better. Like WIRE:-

https://wire.com/en/

I use this myself, and can thoroughly recommend it. Totally cross-platform. Doesn't matter what you run, WIRE have a client for it.....and it's protected by Swiss, and European, privacy laws. (The Swiss, in case you weren't aware, are bordering on obsessive when it comes to security and total privacy. When they say 'end-to-end' encryption, you can take that to the bank. Literally.)

The trick, of course, lies in persuading all your family & friends who are 'wedded' to Skype to actually try something else...

That's the toughest 'nut' to crack..!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 26 October 2017 - 06:59 AM.

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:10 AM

@Mike Walsh:

You are correct that there are many alternatives and that the problem is that others don't use them

Almost all the people in a category I am trying to engage use skype or whatsapp.

I have many times tried to convince them to switch to Discord.

So my last resort is just to use skype on smartphone.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hi

Have you seen this?

New Skype for Linux Released – Download Skype for Linux Ubuntu

http://sourcedigit.com/22876-new-skype-for-linux-download-skype-for-linux-ubuntu/

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for this tip. This news comes after I downloaded the previous version, so maybe it is functional (as the previous one was not).

I am downloading it now.

I just hope Microsoft does not use a skype download to spy on users

I downloaded with the Gdebi package installer then got a message from Linux that the same version is available as software, meaning I guess that it is in software manager. I installed it from there.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users