Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much of an idiot am I

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 csigsrfan

csigsrfan

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

I brought a refurbished computer and it was working fine until I went to turn it on just now. It would not come on at all. I thought maybe it was the plug I was using so changed it. Nothing. It was working fine monday night. Is there a way to fix this or am I out the money? I did try a different plug cable and there is no switch on the back that I can see

Edited by csigsrfan, 25 October 2017 - 10:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:09 AM

I take it this is a laptop?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:21 AM

Desktp

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:24 AM

Understood I had to establish what we were working with here. It could very well be the power supply as this refurbished model may have shipped with a bad power supply. But first are you sure the machine is plugged in?

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Let me think about this for a minute. It started fine Monday night and I had not touched anything so I would think it was still plugged in but I am an idiot so I guess it wasn't. I even change the power cord so I am sure it was plugged in

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:22 AM

There are other factors to check too.

Is the machine plugged into the wall or a power strip?

If plugged into a wall, better get a power strip with surge protector

If you have a power strip already make sure its a good one and not one you got from the dollar store or something. (make sure its power rated too, could be a power delivery issue)

Also make sure the computer is plugged in using the cord it came with, its never the cable, swapping cables for a PC is a bad idea and you cant swap between a monitor and PC cable as the one that comes with the PC usually is made for higher power draw.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Power strip(that it worked from just fine monday) and already tried a different one power strip. I had one power cord from an older tower that I had so I had not used the one it come with so I did change that to test first thing when it would not start it still would not start. Tried a different power strip still did not start

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Yeah sounds like a PSU issue, if under warranty or return period I would return it. That's the only real con to a refurbished machine it can be pot luck.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Well, there's refurbished (manufacturer - usually good to excellent) and there's refurbished (private party - quality can vary from excellent to garbage).

What make and model of computer are we talking about here?  If nothing fires up now and everything was working perfectly before my first suspicion would be a power supply gone dead, but that doesn't happen all that often on a "reasonably new" power supply but is not at all uncommon on a years old one.

You can obtain power supply testers for next to nothing and they're an easy way to determine whether your power supply has any output.

Another thing that is a possibility, remote but, is if the power supply has the slider for 115V versus 220V and somehow that slider got bumped to the wrong position for the power situation you have.  I've seen this happen more than once, and it's generally the last thing anyone thinks of.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

I would like to have my stuff off of it. And I cannot return it

Edited by csigsrfan, 26 October 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Well, replacing a power supply is not a particularly difficult task, nor is it a particularly expensive task.    If you definitively determine the power supply is dead putting a new one in is likely to get you many years of happy use out of the machine.   I certainly wouldn't be throwing in the towel if the PSU is indeed the problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I am not sure it is the issue. When I spoke to HP they said it was out of warranty but it might be a faulty motherboard

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

But did you buy the machine from a store of some kind?

Did the store offer a return or warranty period?

Of course HP would say its out of warranty as they are interested in selling you a new machine not keeping track of a refurbished machine they dont make anymore.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 October 2017 - 10:32 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,237 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

And, again, a power supply tester, such as this one, can be had for a song and there are lots of other options from lots of other sources that are equally inexpensive.  Popping the case off of a desktop and plugging either the main power supply connection to the motherboard or one of the spare connections for a disc drive that's not installed will tell you if your PSU is functioning or not.

This all comes down to how much time and/or money you have and which is more critical at the moment.   There's only so much any of us here on BC can do based upon descriptions for a machine that won't power up.  The most common reason for this in a desktop is a dead PSU.  If that PSU happens to be one that has a small LED on the back, usually green, if this is not lit whether or not the machine is powered up, but where you know that it has power running to it, this is a good indicator of a dead PSU as well.

Available data in this case is limited and detective work on your part will be necessary if you have any wish to salvage the whole machine itself.  Getting data off its drive is a simple matter if you just plan to trash the computer and start with a new one.

~ Brian Vogel

#15 csigsrfan

csigsrfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

cannot afford another computer as this one was new to me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users