Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying or Building a Computer, Could Use Some Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 choppergreg

choppergreg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

I want to buy a new computer for video games. I'm not super knowledgeable about computers, but as a kid, I did build my own computers from parts in the 90s, so I have a basic understanding of case, power supply, mother board, graphics card, rams, drives both hard and floppy, etc. I don't know anything about new components, and I'm definitely leaning more towards the finished tower option, as opposed to the parts off New Egg. But I'm open to ideas.

I was considering this Dell XPS, since that's the kind I use at work:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-tower-with-intel-optane-memory/spd/xps-8920-desktop/fdcwvmxopt411s

Is there anything out there that would be a dramatically better machine? Am I missing anything, like maybe the graphics card isn't that great?

I'm going to play games with it, so I'm hoping for something that can at least handle all the current games. I'm hoping it will be able to run L4D3 when that comes out, but I know that's a lot to ask.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 November 2017 - 06:50 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to 'Advice on buying a computer'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

Along with external media to store your backups, consider the best video and sound card you can afford.  A high-quality hard-drive and lots of RAM is also a good thing.  I know nothing about towers or minitowers, so I cannot advise you about the URL-posted desktop.

Edited by RolandJS, 25 October 2017 - 08:16 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,287 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

Well...if gaming is going to be your primary interest...I would suggest building, rather than buying, because you have more options and greater versatility for the future and disasters with a self-built system.

Louis

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

I too would suggest building over buying.  The main reason is upgrading.  My current machine was built in August 2012.  Installing a SSD and updating the video card every couple of years makes it viable for current gaming.  Purchasing a manufactured machine limits your upgrade options, sometimes minimally, other times completely.

If you're looking for a gaming machine a Solid State Drive (SSD) is a must.  I haven't worked with a hybrid drive, so I don't know what the performance would be for the included drive.  For the machine you listed I'd add a SSD boot drive and upgrade the video card as much as your comfortable with affording.  At a minimum I'd go with 8GB model with the 1060 card and then upgrade the RAM to 16GB for $50 more than what you posted.  If you're comfortable installing the RAM yourself you might save $20 or so.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Get a motherboard that includes PS/2 for keyboard and mouse -- such are faster than even old serials, USBs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users