Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here can help me out. My internet i don't know if its cutting out or not but everytime i try to download something it doesn't work i rarely can finish a download sometimes it goes half way some time 3% it cancels out at random points all the time. I cant even update my game threw the updater because it cuts out. I have a cable modem and a Wireless G router.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

I had a similar problem with COX Cable and it turned out to be a bad ground wire. Once it was properly grounded the problem was resolved. Have you called the cable company to run a line test to see if your coax from their service to your home is not defective?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

acklan is correct. The first thoing you need to do is call the cable company so that they can determine whether it is their problem or yours. Beware-the cable company's don;t always like to admit that a problem is on their end, so just because they tell you it isn't doesn't necessarily mean its true. They are notoriously quick to tell you the problem is you and not them.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

I had this problem several years ago - and the fix was to split the cable where it entered the house - and run one side directly to the cable modem (the other side is adequate to power a whole bunch of TV's).

Also, by doing this (with new cable and connectors), you eliminate the problems inside the house - so then you can call the cable company and demand that they fix your line.

I did it "bass-ackwards" and forced them to fix the outside line first (there was a small problem there) - and then did the "in the house" stuff. But it sure would've been easier if I'd started in the house and worked outwards!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Osiris

Osiris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hmm i dunno if its a cable. I called my network provider and he mentioned i should get someone to look at my network card or call the company that made my computer and check that out. No one has mentioned something like that yet.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users