Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hardrive not initialized/ unallocated

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vennym

vennym

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

Disk manager says my external hardrive is unallocated and not initialized. When I right mouse click on the partition everything is greyed out except properties. The property general tab says the device is working. If I try to initialize the disk I get a virtual disk manager data error (cyclic redundancy check). Event viewer states the disk has a bad blockand I have another error about the disk controller. Ive tried to recover the drive by using Mini Tool Partition Wizard and EaseUS but it didn't find anything. Diskpart also doesn't list the volume of the affected disk. I would run a disk check but my disk isn't assigned a drive letter so I can't run it. Is there any way to get my drive back in working order with all the files intact?

Edited by vennym, 25 October 2017 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

What software of Easeus did you use, the Data Recovery Software or the Partition software? It sounds like the drive has had a complete failure. What is the model of the external? Most newer portable external drives now have the USB bridge integrated with the drives PCB board making it impossible to remove from the enclosure and attaching via another enclosure or USB adapter. WD drives are also know to have proprietary boards which encrypt the contents of the drive.

#3 vennym

vennym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi JohnC,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The external is a Seagate Backup Plus model srd0sd1.I used the Easeus Data recovery software.

Edited by vennym, 25 October 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

Does it have a model number on the back, possibly with a ST prefix? If this is not a small portable drive it's possible the drive can be removed if the enclosure has it's own USB bridge card. Even if a small portable drive the seagate may be able to be removed but I would need a ST model number. 

Video for the larger version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDp9sC3TT0s

Once removed you would use a USB adapter similar to this. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention. Have you tried a different USB cable and attach the drive to a different computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 October 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#5 vennym

vennym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

There's no ST prefix on the back, but Aida64 says its ST3000DM001 (Z1F2X9GR). Here's a link of what my hardrive looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Desktop-External-STCA3000101/dp/B00829THQE

I have tried connecting it to another computer and windows installed the driver, but it doesn't show up as accessible. I do have extra sata cables should i try to connect it with that?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

By SATA cables do you mean USB or do you mean to use the SATA cables to install the drive internally after removing from the enclosure? Are I would try a new USB cable and if that did not work carefully remove the drive from the enclosure and either mount it internally into a another computer or use a USB adapter similar to the one I linked to. From the model number you provided it looks like the drive can be removed. The amazon link looks like the one in the video I posted. It steps to remove the drive should be close to your enclosure.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

#7 vennym

vennym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

I dont have the type of usb i need to replace the one i have but i have sata cables to plug the hardrive internally.  What happens if the hardrive still doesn't work?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

Depending on how important the data is to you the only way to recover the data, if possible, would be using a professional data recovery service with clean room access. One of the better ones is DriveSavers but the service is not cheap and can start at $1000.

https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

gonna jump in here:

if you see this:

data error (cyclic redundancy check)

it's time for a new drive,  just my experience for the last 30yrs of being a tech.

#10 vennym

vennym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Lol, well I'm not gonna spend a grand to get it fixed that's for sure. I tried using  SEATool last night and though the software recognized the disk it failed the long gesture test. So I've decided to open this baby up and see if the head is parked and see if there is any dust on the platter. At this point I don't know what else to do, so screw it. Technically this hard drive was a back up, but there were a few files on there that aren't anywhere else, at least I think there aren't. So far I have removed the casing but I dont have a 6 star screwdriver to remove the lid covering the disk itself. So this will be on hold for a few days till I get it. Chances are I'm just going to look at it and see what might be preventing the hard drive from functioning. I'm not going to remove anything inside, just taking a look. Hopefully at the very least I'll be able to recover some data and transfer it to another hard drive. I'll keep you guys posted!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

I'm assuming you ran Seatools after removing the drive from the enclosure, correct? If you can't get the drive back or recover the data you always can use those rare earth magnets.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users