Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Renew IP address to connect to Wireless/Wired Internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

I have been trying to connect to the internet on a Toshiba M45-S331 Satelitte Laptop that will bring the internet up but will not connect even though the all the icons say that we are connected. After looking further, I found the the firewall was blocking their internet but even after that it still would not connect. This computer has not been used for a long time and needs some updates, but after I updated the driver for the ethernet to try that get connected through it, the IP address would not update. Now I'm not sure what to do about that. I have tried to do a virus scan and all the other options to clean the computer up and check it, but it has an outdated Norton program on it and I can't do anything with the program until I can get online to delete the Norton program since the other programs won't run with the Norton program active. So how can I get a new IP address for this computer to be able to get it connected to the internet??? or what can I do to get it new drivers and get it running to get these files updated?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 October 2017 - 04:49 PM.
Moved from Windows XP to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Interesting, what is the Current IP address now?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

I can't get one to show up, so I'm not even sure that it has one now

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

Ok, do you have a network cable connected to your laptop & router?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

Attached File  IMG_20171025_195437324.jpg   552.75KB   0 downloads    I just refreshed my wifi signal and this is the screen that came back on his computer

#6 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

I have it on wifi right now

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

Do you have a repeater on your network?

A. Lattimore

#8 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

Not sure what that is........sorry

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:39 PM

Home PC_Network_1_EXT Range Extender aka Wireless Repeater.

A. Lattimore

#10 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

YES I do use one. I have further found out that the computer is set up on a single set up for network (non shared) so I am looking to find the placed to change the set up to share the network. He is also missing some of the drivers that I have to run the networking that I have. Would this make a difference? It seems that he would need the same set up, but when people come to my house and use my WIFI they don't need to change theirs so I'm not sure about this....

#11 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:18 PM

Got it fixed...

I ended up deleting the drivers that were in the LAN.  After I did that, the IP addresses and the Firewalls were all messed up again. So I had to go back and delete the Networks from behind the firewall and I then discovered that the firewall was never set up to allow the modem to come through. So after fixing those issues (this was all through the control panel, Security, Firewall, various settings in the firewall area), and restarting the computer, I then had to go in and set up the sharing part since this computer was set up for stand alone. This I did through Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, and Connect to a Network.  Put in the password for the modem, clicked on Chrome, it came up and we went through the internet. The Connect to a Network must have put all my modem setting in for me and it was all correct. You may not be so lucky. If I think of any step I missed I will edit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users