Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

could a faulty psu works better with higher power consumption?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whiteknights

whiteknights

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

i just want to know from the technical view, could it happens that a failing psu works with higher power consumption components, however doesn't work with lower ones at all? like un-orgnaizing voltages or something.

cause that's the issue i'm having.. when i took out my gpu pc won't boot, when i unplugg my case fan pc won't boot also. however it boots normally when my gpu is installed and my case fan is plugged.

im not looking for a solution, im looking for an answer to my simple question at the topic title.

Edited by whiteknights, 25 October 2017 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

It's conceivable that a subtle fault in the voltage regulation system inside the PSU could cause this, paricularly the GPU. Depending on the model some GPUs draw a lot of power, upto 200W. But fans typically draw very little power. I just pulled a CPU cooler out of the cupboard and the fan is rated at 12V 0.18A, about 2W. Even larger fans do not draw much more power so disconnecting a fan I would not expect to have any noticeable effect on a PSU.

So, your PSU may be faulty but I would not expect disconnecting components to cause it to fail. The only way to really check the PSU is to replace it with a different one and see if this behaviour continues.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 25 October 2017 - 05:26 PM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

This is why PSU selection is so important, got a bad PSU and all sorts of things can happen.

If this is a prebuilt machine then swich out the PSU

If its a custom build switch out the PSU.

Can you give us details on the machine at hand?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:23 AM

thank you for your answers. actually i plugged my case fan back and after several attempts my pc booted normally. but still its impossible for my pc to boot without my sapphire HD 7870XT installed.

in all cases there is a constant hissing\squeaking noise coming from my psu, the squeaking noise is there when pc can't boot.  but when i unplugged my HDD with my gpu pc booted to bios with the hissing  noise and after around a minute it reboots.

i'm just afraid to buy a new expensive psu and then find out that the problem was elsewhere(since i can't borrow one)..

and after my pc won't boot without my gpu and case fan installed i suspected that it could be a dying mobo, maybe a motherboard with a weak voltages and only works with higher power consumption components installed on it to motivate the mobo? is that could be a logical explanation?.

but still that doesn't explain the hissing noise coming from psu.. what do you guys think?

my specs:

mobo: gigabyte h61m-s2p

cpu: intel i5-3470

gpu: sapphire HD 7870XT 2gb

hdd: wd blue 1tb

psu: thermaltake 500w  psu model: TT-500NL2NL   

PS: beside not booting with no beep, pc many times powers on and then off instantly in a loop.. this happens more when i unplugg my case fan.

Edited by whiteknights, 26 October 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

But its cheapinging out on the power supply in the first place is why you have issues like this.

My research is this is one of those bargain basement PSU's and I see its listed as a tier 6 on the PSU tier list... YIPES!

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

If you built this computer, then you made a terrible power supply choice, never ever cheap out on the power supply.

I know budgets are tight but the power supply is the single most important piece of equipment in a PC.

It is more valuable than the motherboard, CPU, graphics card or any other part of the build.

You can have the latest and greatest setup in the world but if you cheap out on the PSU you will have issues.

If you really want a good power supply on a budget I would get one of these at the very least:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151136

Its a good price and made by seasonic who have a overall good reputation as a PSU maker (though even the best makers have issues)

Its 80plus gold so its great on power consumption, its not modular so sadly it will be a cable octopus but its certainly better than what you have.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 October 2017 - 09:12 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

thank you MadmanRB, i appreciate it and i'll be looking at those power supplies..

the thing is that here in Egypt the cheapest good brand psu its coast became 900 pounds.

its like paying 900 dollars for a psu in the US.. but eventually i have to buy it.

my current psu came with the case and i had it since 4 years with no problems.

i'm just still little worried that psu could not be the real issue, or the only issue.

because its strange that my psu is powering on pc with my gpu, however it doesn't power it on without it. it suppose to be the opposite if it was a psu issue.

im also just curious to figure out why thats happening from a technical view.  

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

I understand regions have certain prices I mean you have to get what you could get I am unsure of any Egyptian e-tailers so beats me on that. I'm only more familiar with American and United Kingdom markets with a bit of Germany spliced in

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

I understand regions have certain prices I mean you have to get what you could get I am unsure of any Egyptian e-tailers so beats me on that. I'm only more familiar with American and United Kingdom markets with a bit of Germany spliced in

thank you.. i replaced my old psu with FSP HEXA+ 500w PSU, all problems solved and pc worked fine.

its just one of the problems i was having with my old psu happened again once.. sometimes when i leave my pc unplugged for a long time(a day), then turn it on i get no post, i have to restart to make it work.

this time it happened just once but was no beep & no post, i gave my case a little shake and secured the VGA cable more tightly problem gone.
what could it be this time? i think its impossible to be my new PSU. and from what i know if its a VGA cable there will be no post but mobo will beep normally. but in my case it didn't

I'm just a little worried it might happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users