Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem switching between OnBoard and AMD graphic card on my Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ferchi

ferchi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hello Everyone  :thumbup2: 

First off all my laptop is rather old (2011). It is a sony vaio VPCSE1E1 with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 and an AMD Radeon HD 6630M.

My Problem: My laptop often freezes during "higher" graphical/newer games and I am hoping that getting a driver update might help. E.g. black desert online I have about 20-30fps sometimes it works for 10 minutes and then freezes for no reason sometimes after only 1 minute. With for no reason I mean it can happen anytime and not just when a lot of effects are on screen or similar. The onboard card seems to be too weak for pretty much any games no matter how low I turn all settings. In case of black desert online I get a dc before I can get into the game because it just does not load fast enough.  :killcomp: 

I have had a lot of trouble with the AMD graphic card not getting used when I tried:

1) to update any drivers manually (and not through vaio) I cannot use the AMD card anymore. Doesnt matter if I update AMD drivers or intel drivers.

I would love to do that because sony doesnt give out any new drivers in forever. I think the drivers I have are from dec 2011.

2) to deactivate the Intel card (while having the AMD card active) in the Windows Device Manager the screen turns black. When I then switch to the intel card via the switch on the keyboard, I have a screen again but looking like I had no drivers. Then I can activate the AMD card again (it gets deactivated when I deactivate the intel card) in Windows Device Manager. This doesnt change anything tho and the switch button does not work either. Then when I activate the intel card again everything works normal again.

3) I have tried to find something graphic card related in the bios but did not find anything.

Is there anyway I can use my AMD card only and update the drivers? Or is my guess wrong that it is graphic card related.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by ferchi, 25 October 2017 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Does the original Sony driver work? Some computers with a hybrid chipset required special OEM drivers in order to use both chipsets.

If the Sony driver does not work I'd hazard a guess the AMD chipset has failed. 

#3 ferchi

ferchi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Does the original Sony driver work?

Thats what I meant with through vaio. The original drivers do work, like i said, but are not getting updates since 2011. So they are really out of date.

And yes they seem to requirer special drivers and thats my main problem :)

Edit: I think sony does not even have anything online anymore for the VPCSE because it is too old -_-

Edited by ferchi, 25 October 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

I was guessing that was what you meant.  :) I just wanted to confirm it. Unfortunately Sony will never update their drivers as they sold off the Vaio division and no longer manufactures laptops.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2095180/sony-sheds-vaio-pc-business-turns-tv-unit-into-subsidiary.html

#5 ferchi

ferchi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Unfortunately Sony will never update their driver

Thats why I wanted to know if there is a way arround this. Everything I tried so far did not work because the laptop will only find the onboard graphic card afterwards :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users