Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen Blank but External Monitor is Functional

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vgoday

vgoday

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

my HP Compaq 6530S laptop running Windows 7 the screen goes blank suddenly when i am even just browsing but i can see the LCD back-light is on and all the lights on the laptop panel are glowing as normal and when i connected an external monitor through the VGA port everything is fine on the external monitor but laptop screen still remains blank. Most of the times when i shutdown and reboot the display on laptop screen returns and everything is normal.

It does not seem to be a problem of software or monitor selection thru F4 key  turning off the laptop screen as the backlight is still on.

Any clues to what could be the problem

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

found on the HP support site:
Models with discrete graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430 graphics with 128/256 MB dedicated video memory.
Models with integrated graphics: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 HD graphics.
which do you have?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

What are you seeing that you are saying the the backlight is on?  What you are describing sounds like a backlight failing.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

confused on my end?

usually when the laptop screen goes blank the backlight has gone off.  to test this take a flashlight and shine it into the screen and you should be able to see your desktop faintly with the aid of your flashlight.  this tells us that the display pixels are working and the backlight is out.

and since your external monitor is working correctly then it also points to the backlight not working.

back-lighting is exactly as it sounds,  it lights the screen image from the backside of the display image to make it visible to our eyes.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,361 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Not knowing the history of this laptop another option could be the ribbon cable for the display being loose where it connects to the motherboard or has some sort of wonky short going on.

I think the backlight being out theory is more likely, but on older laptops that have spent a great deal of their life in "on the go" use where the screen lid has been opened and closed very many times . . .

Even the backlight issue could result from a power line short or something being loose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users