Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sarathdm

sarathdm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

I got LG super multi DVD drive but for few days the DVD drive heating up even if I do not use it. Also when I burn or play a DVD it gets hotter than normal... plse help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:34 AM

Hello sarathdm,

Could be a sign that the drive is getting too much power going to it.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post, tell us what you can, the MB, the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

I got LG super multi DVD drive but for few days the DVD drive heating up even if I do not use it. Also when I burn or play a DVD it gets hotter than normal... plse help

I'm going to take a gamble here and say more than likely you have a failing drive as they aren't generally made the best.

It is very possible that it could be a voltage problem however I would think you would notice other signs of things not working properly as the DVD drive is powered mainly by the 12 volt rail of the power supply.

The 12 volt rail also provides voltage to the processor and graphics card and hard drive and motherboard etc.

I would suggest trying a different DVD drive as they aren't that expensive unless going the a Blue Ray drive.

Only my opinion.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:21 AM

DVD drive heating up even if I do not use it.

The critical thing here is how you define "heating up". The drive should be somewhat warm from the heat in the case, but if you feel it "hot" and it is not being used something is definitely not right. Try to detect if the drive is spinning even when not in use but the computer is booted and running. That would account for the unusual warmness, and it should not be doing this. When you have a disk loaded and are reading or burning, that would account for the increase from warm to hot. In any case, the drive should never run hot when in use. Best to replace it. You do not want something shorting out in the drive and causing a system crash and possible damage. Newegg and Amazon have good prices on DVD drives. Don't pay a lot of money...DVD is on its way out, soon there will be no more drives.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users