Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Start Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Saddaddy

Saddaddy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:49 PM

I have Windows XP. After an Windows Update, I attempted to reboot. Now, my PC continues to reboot over and over and will not start. I have tried to restart in safe mode but the same things happens. In fact, I have attempted to start in every mode. I am concerned to use the Recovery disks as I understand I will lose all of my data. Suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

First try this: Put in your WinXP cd and boot into setup. When it asksm select recover using Recovery Console. Once in recovery console, type fixboot, and when that's done type fixmbr. Once both of those operations are finished, reboot and see if you can now get into Windows. There is something else you can try, butlet's see if this works first.

#3 Saddaddy

Saddaddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

The PC came loaded with the XP. I only have the Recovery Disks

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

The recovery disks shouldn't delete everything unless you specifically tell it to, go ahead and use them, if it asks you if you want to repair do so, just be sure not to select anything a long the lines of "clean install"

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

REGISTRY WARNING: The details that follow require an above-average understanding of the technical topics involved. If you do not understand the Registry material presented here, either find a technically-knowledgeable friend or do not attempt to repair your system Registry yourself. Improper changes in the System Registry can render all data on your hard disk inaccessible.

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please give this a try and print it out for reference

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Remember to always keep a backup of two things:

Your registry and your data. You will never be sorry.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:58 AM

If this problem began as the result of a Windows Update:

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

From the:
Microsoft Security Bulletin - Summary for August, 2006
http://www.net-security.org/advisory.php?id=6606

Call them. They will be familiar with what update may have caused it and the resolution of the problem.

#7 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:45 AM

Simplest would either be to borrow a XPcd of the same flavour(home with home, pro with pro) and follow gary 335's advice which I like or just do a system repair with it which is straight foward.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Edited by fleamailman, 22 September 2006 - 05:46 AM.

everyday is a gift

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

The simplist (and best) way would be to call Microsoft Support as in my post above because Microsoft offers free support for problems connected with critical updates and will walk you through the fix.

#9 akFuttySeben

akFuttySeben

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

This is similar to the problem I'm having. Do you have a BSOD just before the restart?

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:43 AM

The spontaneous rebooting is a bsod but reboot is selected instead of the stop screen.

The best way to handle this if it is a result of a Windows Update is to contact Microsoft at the toll free number as suggested above.

They will undoubtedly be familiar with the problem and the fix.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:22 AM

Recently I've been noticing spontaneous reboots that don't have a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Generally this occurs when a problem occurs outside of Windows' ability to monitor it. From what I've noticed this can be either hardware problems or compatibility problems - but it's too broad of a category to generalize further.

The BSOD info is needed (if available) to shorten the troubleshooting process, but there's some common steps for each. Since both are generally hardware problems (whether it be hardware itself, drivers, or compatibility) the first step is to repair/replace the drivers. At times, stripping the system down to bare minimum will help to isolate the problem (and makes it easier to figure out which drivers to fix).

If not disabled, the BSOD will cause the Error Reporting Service to write an event to the Event Log. You can view the errors there (HowTo: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )

Also, the errors are commonly saved in a minidump file on your hard drive (that's the default). Searching your hard drive for .dmp files should reveal them. Also, when the error reporting dialog pops up, click on the More Information and then on the Details link. This will show you the location of the files that will be sent to Microsoft - if there's an .mdmp file there, save it elsewhere before the report is sent. These dump files can be analyzed using the procedure here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 Then just post the results from it and we'll have a look at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users