Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need instruction on setting up a website.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

I need help on two issues about setting up a website.

Last week, I went to a website, and registered a domain name. I then went to  awardspace, and signed up to host a website. They have free web hosting.

I click on something on the page, and this came up.

==

Thank you for hosting your domain with us! Please note however  that your domain DNS servers are currently not pointed to us. They need to be pointed to our DNS servers; ns5.awardspace.com in order for your domain to start working normally.

=

I did email, and got a reply from them, but still not sure how to do it.

Another issue is having links in columns, or rows. I'm going to post links to comic strips. These links will go to either gocomics, or to the Seattle Post. I know how to post a link so that it will show up as a word, but not to have them in more than one column. The way it would look is like this. From A to F would be in the first column. The next column would go from letters G, to L, and then the next column from M to R. There would be about five columns in all. I have something like that on wordpress, but all in just one column.  I'm not going to put up any pictures. Might later on.  But for now just text.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:50 AM

Ok, here is an update. I figured out the DNS part. So I got that done now. I just need to know how to have the links in columns. I would like to have about five columns.

#3 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

I haven't worked on the website yet. Still working on the Wordpress site. I'm not using any software to set up the website. I'm doing it by hand. This is how the Wordpress site looks.  https://comicslistings.wordpress.com/ 

This is how I separate the columns.

<div style="width:20%;padding:0 10px 0 0;float:left;"> 

<div style="width:20%;padding:0 10px 0 0;float:left;">

<div style="width:50%;padding:0 10px 0 0;float:right;">

Its not even. Does anybody know what I should do to make it even?

#4 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

Does anybody know how to help me? I haven't set the website up. Just the Wordpress account. I want to get the rows even before I set up the website.

#5 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

When ever I put things in columns I use CSS Grids. Once the grid is setup and spaced, each grid is completely separate from each other

Here is a sample code

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <title>CSS Grids</title>
  <style>
    .wrapper{
      display:grid;
      grid-template-columns: 1fr 1fr 1fr;

grid-gap:1em;
    }

.wrapper > div{
      background:#eee;
      padding:1em;
    }
    .wrapper > div:nth-child(odd){
      background:#ddd;
    }

</style>
</head>
<body>
  <div class="wrapper">
    <div>
      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Nulla quo eveniet placeat. In porro, repudiandae ipsum voluptatibus ratione enim accusantium rem consequatur ab? Alias tenetur ratione quibusdam accusantium aut quis totam! Voluptas labore officiis, unde sequi ad fuga, ex assumenda dolorem placeat atque excepturi ipsa architecto dolores dignissimos quod quibusdam quasi repellat vero cum perspiciatis laboriosam qui sint exercitationem quisquam. Quisquam suscipit fugiat doloremque quasi ad debitis dolor quaerat nihil aliquam at ducimus consequuntur repudiandae numquam eligendi, fugit, excepturi doloribus!
    </div>

<div>
      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Accusantium dolorem sit similique sequi veritatis quas soluta nam alias maxime. Quos rerum soluta neque, incidunt eius illum amet laboriosam nostrum vel.
    </div>

<div>
      Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit. Nulla quo eveniet placeat. In porro, repudiandae ipsum voluptatibus ratione enim accusantium rem consequatur ab? Alias tenetur ratione quibusdam accusantium aut quis totam! Voluptas labore officiis, unde sequi ad fuga, ex assumenda dolorem placeat atque excepturi ipsa architecto dolores dignissimos quod quibusdam quasi repellat vero cum perspiciatis laboriosam qui sint exercitationem quisquam. Quisquam suscipit fugiat doloremque quasi ad debitis dolor quaerat nihil aliquam at ducimus consequuntur repudiandae numquam eligendi, fugit, excepturi doloribus!
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
</html>

Copy the code, and run it on a web page. You will see what it does.

Edited by Ranger SVO, 28 January 2018 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried the code, but it still didn't work. I would like to get it to look like the Gocomics A to Z page. Here is the Gocomics page.

http://www.gocomics.com/comics/a-to-z

It doesn't have to look totally like that. I was going to have 3, or 4 rows. I also wanted it even. The way I have it right now, it is not even. You can look at the site on Wordpress, and see how I have it set up there. Then look at Gocomics page, and see how theirs is set up.

#7 Sivapriya

Sivapriya

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

You said you setup a wordpress account and gave a link for a wordpress.com site, but that's not what will be on your hosted account.  Wordpress.com and wordpress.org are not the same thing. You are confusing two different things. You need to install the latest version of wordpress on your hosting account.  Most hosting accounts have that easily available through the cpanel.  If not, you can download the latest version at wordpress.org.  Always get it direct from that site, unless you are doing it through your host. Never trust downloads of wordpress from third-party sites. 

Once you install wordpress, you need to select a theme.  You can choose one of the themes that comes with the wordpress platform, or find another. There are multitudes of themes, from free to paid.  Being a noob to wordpress, I would not advise you to try to build your own theme at this time.  Please get more experience with wp first. 

You might want to consider purchasing Visual Composer by WP Bakery.  It is a great builder that will give you a lot of functionality without a bunch of coding time.  You can do columns and much, much more. It's relatively cheap. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Sivapriya, 07 February 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#8 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

Are the Wordpress downloads free? I chose a theme, but forgot what the theme was. Can you change themes? What theme would be the best to have columns?

#9 Sivapriya

Sivapriya

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

Okay first - this https://comicslistings.wordpress.com/ is a wordpress.com hosted site. You cannot use your registered domain there, so if you chose a theme there, it will have no effect on the site for your registered domain, unless you transfer your domain to wordpress.com.  To do that, you will need to upgrade to a paid plan.  

See https://en.support.wordpress.com/domains/map-existing-domain/ and https://en.support.wordpress.com/incoming-domain-transfer/

Yes, wordpress is free and many themes are also free. If you already chose a theme, you did that on wordpress.  The problem is, I feel like you are still confused between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The following site might help better explain it to you. DISCLAIMER:  I am not connected with this site in any manner whatsoever.  It's just easier for me to point you to the information elsewhere, than to write a full explanation out here. I'm hungry and trying to eat dinner at this time. :)

https://www.wp101.com/tutorial/wordpress-com-wordpress-org/

#10 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

I plan to host the website at a free hosting site. Here is the link.  https://www.awardspace.com/

I have the link saved in my drafts. It says I can use Wordpress, or some other program to post the website.  I think the other program is called Joomla! I don't know which is the best. I have tried Wordpress at the Wordpress website. But never tried Joomla. Is one better than the other one? I think Joomla might be harder to use, but not sure.

#11 Sivapriya

Sivapriya

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

The link you gave says they have a wordpress and joomla installer, so that should make things easier on you.  Are you building this site?

You will need to point the name servers of the domain to the host.  Then install wordpress, choose a theme and start building content.  Themes can always be changed at any time, but it is best to choose your theme before you build too much of your site, because you want to ensure that it is compatible.  Google for free themes and find one that suits your requirements . 

You could even choose one of the ones that comes with the wordpress installation, especially if you use a builder.  You are very new to this, so I don't want to confuse you with the code.  Again, I recommend WP Bakery's Visual Composer. It's inexpensive and will make life much easier on you. With it, you can easily create columns. 

There are other builders out there, but I don't have much experience with them.  I only have used Visual Composer, due my client's site that already used it when I came on board. 

Another thing, you may want to look at some tutorials on Udemy.  There are a lot of free ones that may at least get you started. One of my favorite webdev teachers there is Brad Hussey.  I know he has some free classes.  This one will be perfect for what you're doing (it's FREE!) https://www.udemy.com/web-hosting-101/

#12 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:42 PM

I'm building the site. I already have the domain name pointed to the server. I messaged support after I signed up. I got the domain name cheap. About .99, and then there was the tax. It will be tomorrow night before I will do any more work on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users