Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Micro stutters on all video playback.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mitna

mitna

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Hi, Back in July i bought a Ryzen R5 1600, with a Gygabyte B350 Gaming 3 motherboard and 16gb Kingston Hyperx Predator 3200mhz. Still using my old R9 280 with this system. Since day one i noticed an annoying video playback issue where the video stutters, almost like its skipping a frame, while the sound plays perfectly. Sometimes i can watch something for 5 minutes and everything is fine, but then all of a sudden it starts stuttering. Sometimes its just an annoying skip here and there, other times it goes to being completely unwatchable for an extended period of time, to the point that i start getting a headache. This happens to all video playback, internet video in all browsers, local files with VLC, pot player, windows media player. I can even see it in games, whenever there is a cut scene.

I tried every chipset and gpu driver released since July, using high performance/ ryzen balanced power plans in windows. I tried MULTIPLE fresh installs of windows. I tried with bios default settings, overclocked cpu/gpu, nothing helps. I ran memtest86 over night without any errors, HCI memtest without any errors. Cpu is completely stable in prime95 and realbench. Cpu temps are fine 33C idle, 55C-60C under everyday load. Cinebench shows expected results. Gpu temps get to 74C max. Cpu usage is normal, maybe like 15% spread across cores when watching a youtube video.

A month ago i did do a RMA of my cpu because it had the segmentation fault issue, and i thought that the replacment cpu was better(though it could have been a placebo thing), but then i took the heatsink off to apply a new thermal paste i bought, got into windows and i noticed it was stuttering again. Freaked out that i busted something, took the cpu out again, but there are no bent pins, no discoloration, it looks fine.

One thing i have noticed is that if i set my Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum mouse poll rate to 1000hz it makes things MUCH worse. Everything becomes unwatchable. At 500hz its a bit better but still stuttery. Setting it to 125hz doesn't seem to make a difference.

Using latest bios on my mobo, but even prior versions had the same issue.

My gut feeling is that something is wrong with the motherboard, and i'm like a moment away from buying a better one, but i don't know for sure. I guess it could be the GPU, but it runs games fine(other than cutscenes), no artifacting/crashing.

Sorry for the long post, but this build is an ongoing nightmare since July because of this. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

bring up your task manager and go to the performance tab.  while watching a video, how busy is your CPU %?  and what is the CPU % when not running a video.

If your up around 100% then I would say you've got something running in the background like maybe some adware/malware/data miners or something like that.

#3 mitna

mitna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

Like i mentioned, cpu usage seems fine. At idle its 0-1%, with  a video playing it goes to like 5-15%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users