Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

currupt pictures on Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Necral25

Necral25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

posted here

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/655749/xp-crash-upgraded-to-win-10-and-pictures-are-corrupted/

Was told you guys might be able to help out. Lost a lot of photos from when my 2nd son was born before we were able to back up, fingers crossed

Had an odd turn of events that someone might know how to fix.

Had a computer running Win XP and suddenly stopped working, was on a serge protector and just stopped working, thinking it might have been the power supply. 

Bought a new computer with pre loaded Windows 10, I took the old hard drive from the XP computer and put it in a powered external drive case and plugged it in, most of the files are exactly as they were on the old PC. However some of the pictures, from the past 6 months or so are all showing fine in thumbnails but when opened have colored bars with all vertiacal or horizontal chopping up the image. 

I have tried the drive on a different machine to make sure it wasn't a new computer hardware issue and have tried opening the pictures in different programs and all turn the same.

When I switch the thumbnail to large view I see the distortion in the thumbnail as well.

When a picture opens it shows very briefly ( all be it a bit blurry) the original image without the bars. 

I have tried using Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery, but did not have any results.

Anything else I can try? Seems everything is still there just a small segment has been messed up, any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Necral25

Necral25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

here is a drop box link to a few files,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/07jyeimrnbvv8i4/AABkcCZiL_mle2ihFz2Ps4yna?dl=0

If there is some formula that can get these back that would be awesome, I have quite a few.

The thumbnails show normal in smaller sizes but they get wonky when opened

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

This is a long reach, I'm wondering if your present Windows cannot completely work with XP-created thumbnails and pictures; I'm thinking maybe the video card of today cannot handle the material created by the video card in the XP-loaded computer?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Necral25

Necral25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

I wondered that as well, have tried on a couple win 10 machines, but same issue. Would the copied pictures retain the problem or would I be able to use some pictures on a stick to test on an xp computer. Or would I need the entire hard drive.

Worth a shot, a stretch for sure, but open to all options at this point

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

Putting a few small and large pictures on a flash drive -- good idea -- and test on an XP computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users