Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.Losers (Cry36) Ransomware

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MrGomez

MrGomez

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Hello,

I have installed some free software for dvd burning called Burn4Free, and of course, it installed loads of sh1t into my laptop. I removed everything it installed, or at least I thought so. It edited my hosts file, adding some website adresses to it.. it was starting my google chrome and opening some stupid websites like every 20 seconds, got rid of this... then removed many files that were running some randomly named processes, thought I'm clean, but no. 

This evening one of my programs suddenly shut down, most of the icons everywhere in my pc became blank, files now have .losers extension, etc.

I have deleted many suspicious files, there wasn't any classic ransom notification popping up anywhere, asking for money to get this thing removed, which is weird, as it seems to be same for all these ransomwares from what I seen. 

I have tried all different decrypting programs, none detected this type of crap. I have also tried to upload some of the decrypted files to Demonslay335's ID ransomware website that I found in the sticky (PINNED) thread. What is said was ->
This ransomware has no known way of decrypting data at this time.

It is recommended to backup your encrypted files, and hope for a solution in the future.

Identified by
  • sample_bytes: [0x583 - 0x5A6] 0x00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000969EE670
Not enough information is public about Cry36. Please check back later.

I haven't found anyone on the internet who would have .losers extension on their files, what the hell is this? Some new ransomware?
Any idea what can I do now? I can't even install/uninstall any program..

Would reinstalling windows help if I don't find any other solution?

Thanks for any possible help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:00 AM

I have not seen the .losers extension before so it may be new.

Did you upload (submit) both encrypted files and ransom notes together to ID Ransomware? Doing that provides a more positive match and helps to avoid false detections.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MrGomez

MrGomez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

I uploaded only encrypted file because I don't have the ransom notes.. I was deleting some files before I came here.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

Check the Recycle Bin for deleted ransom note files.

You may not have found all the notes. Most ransomware will drop a ransom note in every directory/affected folder where data has been encrypted. These notes are often created in multiple file formats (.txt, .html, .png) to ensure that the victim can open them. Check your documents folder for an image the malware typically uses for the background note. Check the C:\ProgramData (or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data) for a .html, .txt, .png, .bmp, .url file.

#5 MrGomez

MrGomez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

I have searched many folders and found only one note, it was called HOWTODECRYPTFILES.txt , but that's the one I deleted before I came here. I'm reinstalling windows right now, let's see if I get rid of this crap. I'll update the post after that. But thanks for trying to help!

#6 MrGomez

MrGomez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

Oh wait, I have found out of those files! It's an html document. Unfortunately, ID ransomware shows exactly same result.. Cry36, no known way of decrypting this....

and a screenshot of the webpage,it looks exactly like one I have seen in someone's video, maybe it's the same type, just different name. I cannot post the image tho..

Any idea now?

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

Do you know where you downloaded the Burn4Free program? Please PM me if you have that info.

#8 MrGomez

MrGomez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

So I was, most probably, forced to make a new clean install of the windows, so I did, and the virus seems to be gone. I have lost all of my data tho...

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

You didn't back up the encrypted files before doing a clean install?

#10 MrGomez

MrGomez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

No. I'm not waiting 1 year before someone develops a decryptor for this type of crap. The data was not life important.

Thank you anyway guys for trying to help :)

#11 Zenlaw

Zenlaw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Today my friends laptop got infected by this ransomware.. ive search on the web for how to de encyrpt the file.. but not found anything.. maybe a new kind of ransomware guys?

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Does your friend know how they were infected?

#13 Zenlaw

Zenlaw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

Does your friend know how they were infected?

yea, i asked my friend how he get infected. he was installing windows 10 pro permanent activator ultimate 2017 v1.9, then that program was downloading another version of it after that, one of his partition all files with extension .jpg, .mp4, and etc changed to .losers, and on each folder there is a ransom note how to encrypt the data

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Can you PM me with more information such as site it was downloaded and if possible a link to the actual file? We need the sample before we can analyze it further.

#15 Zenlaw

Zenlaw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Can you PM me with more information such as site it was downloaded and if possible a link to the actual file? We need the sample before we can analyze it further.

PM sent dude. thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users