Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo G580 HD damaged able to recover?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

Hi there

Firstly i have been looking about forum for similar problems but on mobile so it's a nightmare! I recently dropped my lenovo g580 with pre-installed w7 had it for about 5 years. It didn't drop far but hit wooden chair armrest on front of laptop. The little coin battery holder appears to be loose in it's mounts. 

When it dropped it started bepping, the lenovo splash screen came up then it went to black screen and printed out: check cable connection pxs mof: exiting intel pxe mof

Then goes to boot and app menu

Boot menu gives: 

Atapi cd: 1. tsstcorp cddvdw sn-208ab (default highlighted)

2. Pci lan: atheros boot agent

When i hit enter it just loops through the bit i just described. 

On the app menu under information at hard disk it says 'not installed', and under security menu: no hdd detected.

Why is HDD not detected when it shows in boot order list?

Things i've tried:

Took HD out and put back in

Tried putting hd at top of boot order - this used to be at top of list

Tried load setup defaults

All to no avail. 

I'd read that perhaps bios can be reset, not sure if that would help and no idea how to do it.

At worst i'd like to recover data from c drive files and some stuff from desktop? At best is it possible to restore back to normality?

I really appreciate any advice leading on from this as to the chances of being able to achieve some sort of recovery.

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by AndrewSe, 24 October 2017 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Atapi cd: 1. tsstcorp cddvdw sn-208ab (default highlighted)

2. Pci lan: atheros boot agent

I don't see any hard drive in the above list. Do you mean you see the hard drive listed in BIOS?

I would have to say the hard drive is done Try attaching it to another computer using either an USB enclosure or USB adapter.

The fall may have done something to the computer to prevent the hard drive from being detected even though the hard drive may still be functional.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

I'm with JohnC_21, connect the drive to another computer with a USB adapter.  If you can't read the drive on another computer it will require professional attention to be recovered.  The cost for a professional to recover the data will be over $1,000, from my experience.

#4 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for input, mmm a grand to recover data is a bit much tbh i will get an adapter and see if i can read from it. 

Johnc_21- i thought i seen it in boot list, maybe it is disc drive i'm seeing, but seems to be undetectable in bios.

I

Will usb lead into a desktop be enough to power the disk? I see some adapters with dual usb, is that the one i need or just single lead?

Very much appreciated advice,

Thanks again

Andrew

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

You can probably find one local. The USB adapters have a power brick for 3.5 drives. For 2.5 drives the power from the USB port is sufficient.

Here is an example of a USB 2 adapter that can be used for SATA as well as IDE drives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-/131139498971

For a little more money you can get a USB 3 adapter from Vantec. It is not shown but the package includes a wall adapter for 3.5 drives/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vantec-SATA-IDE-TO-USB-3-0-Adapter-CB-ISA225-U3-New/282343204630?epid=1466191113&hash=item41bcf76716:g:ReUAAOSwA3dYjq0U

If you only want to pull data from this particular drive then a USB Sata adapter for 2.5 drives only will work. The extra USB connector is supplied should only one not give enough power to spin up the drive. This is just an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-USB-2-0-to-SATA-7-15-Pin-22Pin-Adapter-Cable-For-2-5-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-L2-/162327346442?var=&hash=item25cb76bd0a:m:mzpdDk1t9KV6RYge07m0yuA

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 October 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

That MOBO failure is a classic for the bench techs.  The warp caused by the impact was enough to unseat the CMOS.  The drive could be accessed by an externally powered enclosure and USB interface.  That is if the drive is recoverable.  The MOBO may have scrambled things a bit on the drive but it shouldn't have been enough to prevent access.

#7 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:29 AM

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone. I did get a cable. Plugged itin and the disc made same deet deet noise, so pulled the cover off it and the little arm was sitting half way across disc. Carefully moved it back, checked for damage, everything looked fine, no warp or bend in cover. 

Plugged back in and it booted to the window splash screen, the 4 colour little square and just sat there, so turned off, checked disc again, nothing obvious and tried again, next few times it came up with that check cable connection error, and that is where i am at now. On the 2nd and all tries after that I could hear the arm load and back off continously, i then ran it with top cover off and could see the arm swing in and back on a loop.

Seems like something is stoping it load. Wonder if it would be accessible via usb as adisc drive only since arm is now unstuck.

Edited by AndrewSe, 06 November 2017 - 02:33 AM.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

That initial start up of the drive, the noise is the head moving across the platters.  The first thing it looks for is track zero, where the clock track is.  If it an't get to the track mechanically or it can't read the clock track, it can sync up and read any data from the drive.  Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users