Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

I was downloading some files to an external hard drive to transfer it to another computer. But for some reason when I plugged it in to the second laptop it didn't appear in "my computer", or anywhere. The light is on, windows makes the sound of a new hardware being plugged in and I can hear it spinning in it's case. It was also working just one hour ago perfectly when I downloaded the file. Just now I can't seem to access it. Under devices it shows up as a "samgsung USB device", and under removable hardware as "eject USB TO IDE".

Any idea what is going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Is the drive still detected in the first laptop?

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Is the drive still detected in the first laptop?

nope, same on both.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Guessing since is it USB to IDE this isn't a new drive.  If the data is more important that the external case you can pull the drive and see if using another USB to IDE adapter allows you to read the drive.  I've seen a lot of the controllers fail on these over the years, but the data on the drive can still be read if use another adapter.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

I tend to agree with Kilroy that it's a controller problem but just for the heck of it change your USB cable and see if that helps.

#6 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:07 AM

Guessing since is it USB to IDE this isn't a new drive.  If the data is more important that the external case you can pull the drive and see if using another USB to IDE adapter allows you to read the drive.  I've seen a lot of the controllers fail on these over the years, but the data on the drive can still be read if use another adapter.

Actually the data isn't important, just the drive. I don't think I have any other USB to IDE adapters I could use though, is there any other way to test this? I don't mind formatting/re-partitioning it also, if there is any way to do that without it being recognized as a drive...

I also tried a different cable, but same results.

Edited by noz03, 25 October 2017 - 03:08 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

If the drive is not detected by Windows it cannot be formatted.

#8 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:54 AM

If the drive is not detected by Windows it cannot be formatted.

Hmm, so theres basically no way to fix it then?

Btw, it couldn't be anything to do with the fact that I plugged it into a linux OS could it? It's not being recognized on Linux either though, unless I am doing something wrong as I have no clue how to do anything on linux...

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,624 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

Just attaching and detaching the drive in a linux OS would not cause the problem. When the device is attached to your Windows computer does it show up in Disk Management and if it does how is it detected? Post a screenshot.

If the drive does not show up in Disk Management then you could try to remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it internally but if this is a portable drive the USB bridge card is probably integrated with the drive's PCB and attaching internally to another computer would not be possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users