Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stupid Slow Computer Help Me!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 playfuldezert

playfuldezert

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

Hello I am new to all these help sites...and stumbled onto this one...I am also not so smart with computers! I have seen on the internet where people use something called hijackthis and i tried to download this and it stopped responding in the middle of the search thing after downloaded...i have looked for days to try and figure the computer thing out...I don't want to take it to the shop i love to learn and am willing to do whatever it takes to get this stuff outta the computer...i have used a program called ccleanup and it made the computer a little bit faster as well as defrag...other than that i am stumped!! thank you for your time and i hope that i have done this right! again thanks...
Barbara

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

It would help to know what kind of problems you are experiencing. Other than slow, what else? Popups, search redirecting, warnings from your security program, etc. Also what security programs you have. Info about your computer. Especially what Operating system--Windows,etc.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

You should never use Hijack This yourself unless you are fully capable of altering and writing to the registry.

We do offer help for you using Hijack This in our Hijack This forum and will guide you through the process. Again - do not try to use it yourself.

Having said that, you must install HJT for it to work properly.

Hijack This is for removing malware from your computer. Do you know you have a malware infection? Is your computer acting strange?

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program’s malware definitions before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

If you do not already have these freeware aps installed on your computer, you can get them at the following sites:

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Carefully Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly. including how and where to install it.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not here in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not try to use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having had 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

After you post your log, please do not make any changes to your computer. Discontinue trying to delete anything with any program as changes will make your HJT log obsolete and waste valuable time spent by our HJT experts analyzing the log made innacurate by changes and therefore their plan formulated to address the problems will also be obsolete.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a re-request and a link to your HJT log HERE.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html

Make sure you post your HJT log in the HJT forum, not here, because if you post it here in this forum the response from our HJT Team will be delayed because the post will have to be moved before they see it (they will not look for it in the Win XP forum) and it will fall in line behind many others posted that same day.

#4 playfuldezert

playfuldezert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

It would help to know what kind of problems you are experiencing. Other than slow, what else? Popups, search redirecting, warnings from your security program, etc. Also what security programs you have. Info about your computer. Especially what Operating system--Windows,etc

Ok here goes...These are the problems that I know of....the redirecting i think thats what it is...when i type in something it goes to another help page something i have never heard of even from yahoo search google search...the computer runs really slow at times and faster at others. i have cable from time warner(don't know if that matters) but it is supposed to be fast. not sure what speed that is though. we have a pop up blocker actually 2 of them, so that is not the problem. the security program, is that virus protection stuff?? if so it is nortons and when u try to scan it says not responding after a while also other virus scans that i have found on the internet (which i know symantec is nortons) does the same thing. we have windows xp i guess the home version not sure what the difference is..its for a home computer...if that helps out any...i told you i was stupid with computers i apologize i am just tryin to explain the best way possible....as for more of the security programs does regcure and ccleaner go in that category? i don't know what all info u want from the computer is...but i know it is a 60 gig (i think thats what it is called) hp pavillion 522n (see you made me get on the floor to look at these things!) i don't know how to find out all this info i just came across the 60 gig thing somewhere don't know how i did it! but hope that helps out so far we have ran adware adaware not sure what it is called regcure and ccleaner i am also doing a disk cleanup does any of these help it? anyways enough of me rambling on i hope i have given u enough info if not let me know where to get the rest of the info u need! i also have yahoo messenger if we are allowed to give off personal info on here maybe someone can walk me through some things..i am not posting my name until i know i am not goin to get banned or anything for puttin it up here! thank you for your time!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

Those are symptoms of malware. Follow the instructions given you in the post by Enthusiast. Good Luck
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users