Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about setting up VLAN

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jack handy

jack handy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

Hello, I have a situation where a VLAN setup may or may not be beneficial. I have never messed with VLANs so am not sure if this would be my solution or not. I have a 7 computer network setup all running Windows 7 pro 64-bit. 3 of the computers are in one building and 4 are in the other. All 7 computers run into a switch which is then ran into a router and in turn ran into an At&T gateway for internet. All devices are Gigabit. We have 2 routers one of which is running the network and the other is not physically plugged into the network (yet) and only serves as wifi access. The one that is running the wired network is set for 192.168.2.1 gateway and all computers are statically set for that gateway. We also have a dedicated computer again running Windows 7 that serves as a poor mans server that we use files from. Every computer connects to that server. The router/gateway that is running the wireless signal is defaulted at 192.168.1.254. We only run off of the wired router for internet (currently) which runs at a slow 12Mbps speed. So, I am wondering if I can plug the wireless router into the switch and serve internet for half of the computers from it and the other computers would still have internet through the other wired router. So I want half of the computers running internet from the newly plugged in wireless router/gateway and also be able for them to connect to the server. The other half of computers will remain unchanged. So would I use a VLAN for the computer that will be running internet from the wireless router/gateway and if so how would I configure them? I apologize if I have made an easy question difficult but have tried to lay it out the best I can. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

I want to make sure I understand your scenario. You have a total of 7 computer all windows 7 64 bit systems. 3 of these computers are in building A and 4 are in building B. In what building is the demarc point for the AT&T Connection, the router, and switch? What kind of router and switch do you have? Does the router support routing on a stick? is your switch a managed switch? In what building are your wireless clients located?

Is your intent to segment off the computers in building A from communicating with the computers in building B while still having access to the Win7 file server? This is the primary purpose for a VLAN to segment users, computers, and departments while still giving access to resources? 

Edited by arlattimor, 24 October 2017 - 01:45 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

The demarc point with router and switch are all in building A. The switch I am assuming is unmanaged (https://www.altex.com/Intellinet-16-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop-Switch-561068-P158149.aspx). The router is a Netgear (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122334&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Network+-+Wireless+Routers-_-N82E16833122334&gclid=Cj0KCQjwybvPBRDBARIsAA7T2kiFRZ4nqN576amyZaXqf-4ByznkHLXZokyoaiC8ay4n-vn1YbroimEaAk3uEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds). I am not sure if it does support routing on a stick. I don't have any wireless clients. The wireless router/gateway is in building B and is completely independent currently and is plugged into nothing. It is only used for customers for wifi right now. My intent is to still allow all computers to talk to each other and grab files from the server as it is now. I only want to separate off the internet so building A is running off of the one wired router and building B will run off of the wireless router/gateway but wired if that makes sense. I hope I have explained it well. 

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

Your network is currently running off of SOHO (Small Office Home Office) equipment which does not support the creation & administration of VLANS. So from building B, you wish to uplink the unused wireless router into your unmanaged switch in building A. While still giving building B internet & access to the Win7 file server correct?

Edited by arlattimor, 24 October 2017 - 02:50 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

That is correct. I was wanting building B to have it's own internet from the unused wireless rotuer/gateway. So building B would have internet from the unused wireless router/gateway and building A would use the current At&T wired router/gateway for internet. That way both buildings are not sharing the bandwidth of 12Mbps.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Well, actually by uplinking the unused wireless router into the intellinet unmanaged switch you would still be sharing the AT&T Connection. That is what you want correct?

A. Lattimore

#7 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

That unused wireless router is another AT&T gateway serving internet. I'm not sure if I explained that correctly. So once I uplink that to the switch there will be 2 internet connection through the network. One will be the 192.168.2.1 gateway and the other would be the 192.168.1.254 gateway (the unused wireless router). So I am wanting building B to connect to the unused wireless router (192.168.1.254) and building A to connect to the other AT&T gateway (192.168.2.1). I hope I am clarifying correctly.

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

There is only one demarc point that is bringing internet into the facility that is in building A. By uplinking the second wireless router in building B to the unmanaged switch you are sharing the internet coming into building A from the AT&T demarc point. The network range is 192.168.2.0/24 that all the devices will be on. 

A. Lattimore

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

If you want building B to have in own internet connection it will need its own demarc point from an ISP.

A. Lattimore

#10 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

That's the point that I think I didn't make clear. Building B does currently have it's own demarc point as it is a separate business but in the same building. I have attached a very crude topology that might illustrate it a bit more clear.

Attached Files

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

I see, so you have demarc point in building A and also in building B. You want building A computers to route out of Building A gateway. You want the same to happen with Building B computers to route out of building B gateway. but the LAN Address Ranges for both gateways is 192.168.2.0/24 correct?

A. Lattimore

#12 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Correct except for 1 change. Building A range is 192.168.0/24 and building B is 192.168.1/24. So I would want 4 of the computers in building B to remain on the 192.168.0/24 network for accessing the server and also on the 192.168.1/24 network for internet. I'm guessing I could add an extra nic card to those computers but was trying to avoid that. That's where I assumed a VLAN could be created to split off the networks. But I see I was wrong on that.

Edited by jack handy, 25 October 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

In what building is the Win7 File Server?

A. Lattimore

#14 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Nevermind, I saw topology. You want building B to have access to the Win7 file server right?

Edited by arlattimor, 25 October 2017 - 08:44 AM.

A. Lattimore

#15 jack handy

jack handy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Building B does currently does have access to the Win7 file server and would like it to stay that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users