Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to get a computer running on Win98

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Windyy91

Windyy91

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if its possible to still use Windows 95/98 OS on the current hardware on the market.

It's mostly for reminiscing those times when I got my first computer as a child and at the same time I want to study deeper into the OS itself so I can make comparison between this and the current OS.

If so, can anyone please advice the steps?

If not, which kinds of hardware will Win98 be supporting up to?

I have looked into some articles and it seems that Windows 98 have a hard time connecting to the internet and will fail to load many current webpages.

I am clueless but I am enthusiastic on getting a computer just for this purpose, it will be most helpful if anyone can shed some light.

Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Installing Windows 98 on current hardware would be hard because finding the necessary drivers would be problematic. You would be better off using something like VirtualBox to create a VM of Windows 98 to run in your current hardware as a guest OS. 

Here is something to get you started.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=windows+98+virtual+box

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59559

If you want to install Windows 98SE direct then you would be better off looking for old hardware to run it which may be difficult to find.

#3 Welephant

Welephant

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hi Windyy.

I agree with JohnC installing WIN98 can be a challenge on current machines as another discussion is finding out in this forum 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/656392/cannot-install-windows-98/

If you are that nostalgic then the simplest option would be to look on ebay for a machine of that era running WIN98. My favourites are Dell latitudes which are still common and put up for sale including WIN98/98SE. I myself kept one as a a machine to test suspicious apps etc on in a DMZ environment and if it got infected etc. it was easy enough to reformat the small hard drive and reinstall WIN98 as I had the original CD. 

However whilst you can get the machine and WIN98 you have already identified a major downfall which is the connectivity to the internet and out of date browsers which most sites these days don't support. 

Good for running old games etc but not much else these days.

#4 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:08 AM

You'd be best running Windows 98 in VMware - I would never recommend VirtualBox for Windows 9x operating systems as it, to plainly say it, has poor emulation as it is not officially supported. That said, if you want to run it on real hardware, which from your thread title you do, you'd probably be good getting anything from machines at the time to something from the very early XP era (anything to about 2003 and before). It shouldn't cost too much but make sure you get a boot floppy with it or buy one separately as the Windows 98 disc image is not bootable by itself.

You'll find it difficult to browse the Internet but as a place to run old games etc. and generally relive the times of 1998-2002 it would be great. ^^

Edited by ChirunoIceFairy, 07 November 2017 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users