Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Codec Registry Fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

Since I have seen this a lot recently, I have decided to put a fix here. What's been happening, is people are downloading new codecs, and erasing old codecs, or just deleting codecs and so on so forth. However when they erase their codecs they take with them their sound, and no matter how many codecs they try to install, it never works.

Since I'm not an expert on the registry, I can only give a short hypothesis on why this happens: When you install a program that configures your codecs, it associates itself with part of the registry, this registry has existed ever since you installed windows. Whenever you remove said programs, you take with it, not just the codecs, but also the registry associated with it. This would explain why no amount of audio drivers nor extra codecs would resolve the issue, these things don't affect the registry in the way we need it to.

The sollution is actually easy once you understand the problem. You have to restore the registry associated with your music files in order for windows to play them again, while I can't assure this will help everyone, I can gurantee it will make solving the problem easier. I have been puzzled on more than one occasion by this mishap. However here is the sollution. (if I could do an attatchment I would)

Oh, and please be very careful with the registry, at this point I can't assume any damage you do to your computer, as a matter of fact, just in case, I would make a registry backup, a system restore point, something just prepare for the worse. Also, I have not tried this with any system other than XP. So I wouldn't suggest you try it if you run any other system.

Open up notebook, and copy this section down and save as a registry file... I saved mine as "audiofix.reg" without the quotes of course. once you have saved the file, double click on the tetris looking icon that you aptly named, and click yes to integrate to the registry. Restart the computer, see if this has helped you, if it has, GREAT. If it hasn't, don't worry we'll figure that out next.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"msacm.imaadpcm"="imaadp32.acm"
"msacm.msadpcm"="msadp32.acm"
"msacm.msg711"="msg711.acm"
"msacm.msgsm610"="msgsm32.acm"
"msacm.trspch"="tssoft32.acm"
"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"VIDC.I420"="i420vfw.dll"
"vidc.iv31"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.IYUV"="iyuv_32.dll"
"vidc.mrle"="msrle32.dll"
"vidc.msvc"="msvidc32.dll"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"
"msacm.msg723"="msg723.acm"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"msacm.msaudio1"="msaud32.acm"
"msacm.sl_anet"="sl_anet.acm"
"msacm.iac2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\iac25_32.ax"
"vidc.iv50"="ir50_32.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.WMV3"="wmv9vcm.dll"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"msacm.voxacm160"="vct3216.acm"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"MSVideo8"="VfWWDM32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.X264"="x264vfw.dll"
"VIDC.FPS1"="frapsvid.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"VIDC.YV12"="yv12vfw.dll"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.MSUD"="msulvc05.dll"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

Are these the Windows XP defaults? What OS is this from?

#3 Gyro

Gyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:56 AM

They are not os defaults, they are also the registry entries for a few codecs that are common, technically they are from my os, I didn't know which ones were from XP default, however you bring up a good point, i'll look up the defaults.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

My concern is that the codec you are pointing to may not exist on another users machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users