Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worried about my HDD Health

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 camblongkaras

camblongkaras

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

Bear with me guys, I'm a novice when it comes to computer hardware problems!

While fixing my brother's computer (which is situated next to mine) my father used my DVD-ROM to store a Windows 7 installer CD which he was going to use to format the said computer. However I had no knowledge of this and he didn't inform me before I turned my computer on; apparently he had tinkered with the boot sequence as well (possibly to test if the CD was working?) so that it would boot to initiate the installer CD. My computer already had a Windows 7 OS installed and it froze up several times for some reason; I assume this was because of the installer CD being initiated but it also conflicted with the existing OS starting up.

When freezing up for the first time it had froze up on the Windows 7 boot up screen, and I was still unaware of the installer CD being in my DVD-ROM at the time so I restarted it (My father was right next to me and didn't inform me, btw). This occurred once again on the second boot up, but on the third boot up it started to show the blue Windows installer set up, this is where I realized that an installer was on my DVD-ROM. I removed the installer and restarted it, but then my hard-drive wasn't being detected by the motherboard and it was making periodical beeps which I identified as errors, although unsure of what error exactly - probably the fact that it wasn't detecting my hard drive. I removed my hard drive and it was detected again in BIOS, which seemed to have solved the problem and fixed the beeping, yet I am still uncertain that this might mean something is wrong with my motherboard, and possibly my other components too.

The boot sequence was modified as well - it was set to the DVD ROM as I've stated earlier, so I had to set it back to the hard drive. It worked but I was prompted to the "Launch Startup Repair" or "Start Windows Normally" screen, and I opted to launch Startup Repair to fix any errors that might've occurred. Going along with the process, it was stuck on "attempting repairs" for the remainder of it before being interrupted. It was stuck in that state for a good 15-20 minutes - maybe more, but the computer was responsive (I could move the mouse and see the cursor with no problems, keyboard worked as well, and the loading bar was still in marquee) however my father interrupted the process again by restarting the computer and launching Windows, meaning that the repairs were probably incomplete - I noticed that I was missing a few files from the games I had just recently installed, and that I had several files and programs from before that were from an earlier time. Several of my programs were also bugged but a reinstall seemingly fixed them. I've been worried for my hard drive since it might have sustained a fault or so, and maybe my other components were affected as well (Video card, processor, etc.)                 

I'm using a program called Defraggler and it says that my HDD is in good health, however I'm not so sure about this, and I'm illiterate in the S.M.A.R.T. results or values; I'll be posting them here and I'd like to hear from you guys whether my hard drive has any significant or minor problems. They are as follows:

Attached File  Screenshot_63.png   20.84KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_64.png   12.17KB   0 downloads
Attached File  Screenshot_65.png   8.04KB   0 downloads

I'm using a WD Blue 1 TB HDD - 7200 RPM SATA 6GB/s 64MB cache 3.5 inch - WD10EZEX

For reference (In case these components were affected too):
Video card: GTX 750 Ti
Processor: Intel G4560 3.5 GHz
Motherboard: Asrock H110M-HDV

Edited by camblongkaras, 24 October 2017 - 08:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

Booting the install disk should not have caused any problems unless you actually started an install. Interrupting the startup repair is something to avoid. 

The drive looks good but you can confirm running WDs Data LifeGuard program. Do the Quick Test first. If it passes do the extended test. If you have any important data on the drive that you cannot afford to lose then back it up first.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 October 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#3 camblongkaras

camblongkaras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

Booting the install disk should not have caused any problems unless you actually started an install. Interrupting the startup repair is something to avoid. 

The drive looks good but you can confirm running WDs Data LifeGuard program. Do the Quick Test first. If it passes do the extended test. If you have any important data on the drive that you cannot afford to lose then back it up first.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

Thanks! I'll be doing just that and I'll post the results on this thread. So far it passed the quick test.

#4 camblongkaras

camblongkaras
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:14 AM

Here are the results, they're looking quite good:

Attached File  Screenshot_69.png   31.46KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_70.png   31.9KB   0 downloads

If there's anything I should look out for, please tell me. Thanks!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

The drive looks good. The attributes that you should pay attention to is Reallocated Sector Account and especially Current Pending Sector Count.

If you see the Current Pending Sector count increase at a fast rate then it indicates a failing drive. It means sectors that cannot be read and are waiting to be reallocated.

Your at zero  so you have nothing to worry about on this drive.

Your Reallocated Sector Count shows one on one image and zero on the other. In any case one is nothing to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users