Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo hangs on GPU check

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laserman367

laserman367

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I recently ordered a new motherboard (AB350 Gaming 3) with a new CPU (Ryzen 5 1600) and RAM (LPX Vengeance). The motherboard has a little disco before boot where it tests the CPU, RAM, GPU (labelled VGA) and then Boot. For each test, a separate light goes on and if there's no problem the light goes out again. However, with my current GPU (ASUS R9 270x DirectCU II ) the light doesn't go out. With an older GPU (Zotac GTX470) the system boots fine and everything functions. Seems like a clear cut case of a dead GPU, however my R9 270x still works just fine on my older motherboard+CPU+ram combo (P7P55-M with i5 760). When the PSU gets power, the R9 270x shows green lights above where the power is connected and when I try to boot, the fans spin. Not sure if that helps, but I thought I might as well mention it

As for things I've tried,

I tried plugging it into a different PCI-E slot on the motherboard, however a friend said that was a bad idea since only the top one was PCI-E 3.0.

I tried using a brand new PSU (so I've tested it with two, both of which should be plenty to power the new system at 550W since pcpartpicker only rates it at about 350)

I updated my new motherboard's BIOS to the latest version.

I tried changing the PCI-E settings from Auto to Gen3, in case it didn't recognize the R9 270x as gen 3.

At friends recommendation, I tried turning off XMP but it was already disabled by default.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 laserman367

laserman367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

I think this video from JayzTwoCents shows the exact problem I'm having

Sadly he seemed to have no idea of what caused the issue and I can't find an update about it. For him it's probably not such a big issue since he can just run another card on that system, but I can't magically switch my GPU for an identical one

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

i just had a mobo that was hanging on the bios GPU test.   I reset the cmos, then it rebooted fine.

#4 laserman367

laserman367
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

i just had a mobo that was hanging on the bios GPU test.   I reset the cmos, then it rebooted fine.

Could you post with other GPUs?

Is there a difference between clearing CMOS and doing the Reset Defaults in the BIOS itself?

EDIT:: Well I just cleared CMOS and I got something new with my R9, after hanging on the VGA light, it goes back to CPU light, clears it, goes to ram, clears it, goes back to vga and hangs again, after doing that twice it just kept hanging on VGA again.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Edited by laserman367, 24 October 2017 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users