Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Editing Machine; mitx or matx?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

The last video editing I did was several years ago, and I haven't closely followed it since I retired. However, the basic principles still apply. As a noob, I attempted a video for an in-house presentation for a major corporation and was using a weak video card. It was an experience in frustration and an agony of tension. I gave up and upgraded, particularly the video card I was using and the difference was between night and day. Suddenly I actually enjoyed the work I was doing. The overall principle is to build with the highest performance you can afford.

Here is a link to some suggestions: http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting/

If you run in to problems, one of the best "go-to" video information sources is VideoHelp.com.  A lot of pros in the industry hang out here, so if you approach them politely they will be glad to help you. Take a little time to investigate the site, it is huge with an immense amount of information. These guys helped me through some tricky situations when I was in to it.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for that.

I suppose one thing I probably should ask...what should I look for in a matx motherboard? I think the B350 should be okay, not planning on multiple gpus...but with many aimed at gamers, it's tricky to know what to look for when all I need is something for content creation...

It's all about expandability. I doubt B350 wouldn't be enough for CC machine.

#18 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Great stuff. Thanks all for the help.

#19 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Eh you really dont need crossfire or SLI.

Get a decent enough GPU and it will be fine.

My GTX 1060 is a whopper at it, averaging about 1 hour for a 30 minute video.

Of course this is via Kdenlive in linux, other video editors are going to be a bit better at that.

Kdenlive isnt that well optimized so theres that :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#20 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

Good to know. Thank you.

#21 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Have you read this? https://www.dcinema.me/davinci-resolve-system-requirements-a-reality-check/ It's worth a read. Also this http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20170818-d861a7/DaVinci_Resolve_14_Configuration_Guide.pdf

They make specific GPU recommendations in the latter document.

Edited by jonuk76, 25 October 2017 - 10:12 PM.

#22 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

Indeed thus why I would suggest something like as low as a GTX 1060 6GB or a 1080Ti

Maybe a 1070 even

Since GPU pricing is still a little funny I would go for the GTX 1060 6 GB model as some brands still stick to the MSRP

The cryptomining stuff really hurt GPU prices so staying below $500 is rather tough in terms of GPU price.

Edited by MadmanRB, 25 October 2017 - 10:18 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#23 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

I meant the link more for the OP but yes they make some pretty high end recommendations. It's dependant on the workloads and budget of course, but it seems in general the software can use as much GPU power as you can get.

The GPU rip off prices seem to be coming off their highs a bit now, but still they are expensive overall. It does seem to be AMD GPU's (esp RX 570/580) that are commanding higher prices at the moment.  $400 seems to be not uncommon for a RX580, while the same money can get a GTX 1070.

Edited by jonuk76, 25 October 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#24 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

Indeed budget does come into play that's why I'm giving some leeway. I mean one could get a ryzen 5 1600 which would be perfect for this and paired up with say GTX 1070 or 1080 save money on the processor and sacrifice for a graphics card. The combination would make sense as even the R5 1600 is a very good processor for multimedia content which is why I like the AMD ryzen line so much you could get any processor and paired with any graphics card and get amazing performance in content creation

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#25 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,941 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:53 AM

Yes that would perform very well in content creation.  Mild overclock on the CPU if you wanted would almost certainly be possible giving a free performance boost :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users