Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Editing Machine; mitx or matx?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BBrown1999

BBrown1999

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

First time builder, looking to build a robust video editing machine, but prefer it to be as small as possible.

Could there be a possible performance diffence between mitx and matx?

Parts leaning towards:
Ryzen 1700x
Nvidia 1070
Redhat OS

Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

No performance difference but expandability may be very limited with mini-itx case.

For video editing, GPU speeds does not make as huge difference it does with gaming.

#3 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for that.

Besides an additional GPU and part upgrades, what else would be considered "expandable" that may be worth considering?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Why redhat?

The hardware looks okay but if you are new to linux I would not use redhat plus redhat is quite expensive if you go workstation.

Its a enterprise distro only made for businesses really, I would not use it unless absolute stability was your concern but there are far better distributions for that such as Debian or even CentOS which does the same job as redhat without the cost.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 October 2017 - 10:56 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#5 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:51 AM

CentOS actually, my bad.

I'm only using Davinci Resolve and possibly Fusion on this machine. From the little research I've done...seems these programs perform best on Linux. Considering Ive used both Windows and Mac...I'm willing to see if there's a better solution available.

Last things:

Any reason why an AMD GPU could be better for content creation?

Mini gpus, yay or nay?

Is it absolutely rediculous to consider a case like the s4 mini? Especially how it's powered? Granted I don't need to work in something crazy like 8k raw...but will be handling high resolution images. Also looking at the sg13, air 240 if I have to go matx.

Thanks for the help.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

AMD Ryzen has a lot going for it really, good multi core and multi thread performance for one and offering a alternative to Intels more expensive line.

As for AMD GPU's may not matter here,. right now in terms of GPU's I would go for nvidia due to cost factor and better driver support.

Mini GPU's are fine

As for your case... yeah I would not do it, sure small is appealing but at the same time its severely limiting.

If you really must go Mini ITX go for one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553020

It has no limitations such as needing a special power supply and offers support for standard HDD's

As for the OS if you want to try linux out i wont stop you however redhat is not the one I would choose.

I say for someone new to linux look no farther than Linux mint.

https://linuxmint.com/

Mint is for those new to linux and will do what you wish 

Davinci Resolve will be fine on Linux mint as linux is linux.

Its how its packaged and presented is why linux has so many flavors to it.

Mint is for newcomers and is well worth it to try.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 October 2017 - 12:17 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#7 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Thank you for the great info. Very much appreciated.

Mint over CentOS?

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Yes, I mean dont get me wrong CentOS isnt a bad distro but if you are new to linux I would not use it.

Mint offers a very windows like interface, easy ways to install multimedia codecs and in general is very linux newbie friendly.

CentOS is more for those who are more familiar with linux and is more of a intermediate/ advanced distro, linux has many flavors and levels of ease of use.

Newb distros:

Mint, Ubuntu Mate, Zorin, Manjaro

Intermediate:

Manjaro, Ubuntu, CentOS

Advanced:

Debian, CentOS, Redhat

Extreme: 

Arch, Slackware, Gentoo

This is ranked on difficulty for new users to linux and some distros boarder on both due to how they are presented.

Edited by MadmanRB, 24 October 2017 - 12:41 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#9 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

Awesome. Thanks for all your help MadmanRB.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

You are very welcome.

Just keep in mind that there is still going to be a bit of a learning curve in linux even with mint but we do have a dedicated linux section here so if you run into anything we can try to assist you.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#11 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Will do. Thank you again.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

That Davinci Resolve looks a pretty hardcore bit of software.  I think with Linux the distribution that will give you an easiest time is whichever one the developers supply pre-compiled binary installers for.  If they only support RHEL and CentOS, then that kind of points you in the direction.  It's likely to be possible to get it running on different distributions, but the work involved might be tricky for those new to Linux.

You can always install CentOS (or Mint or whatever) in a virtual machine on your current hardware to test the DaVinci software works as you intended, prior to investing in hardware specifically.

#13 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Thank you.

They did target CentOS. Resolve can get intense. Although fast, my workstation laptop just isn't cutting it when I color grade.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

I just want to mention something that might help. Video editing leverages one of the most demanding resource loads out of most other graphic arts packages. This goes double if you plan on doing any rendering; the GPU actually does most of the work, not the CPU. If you are working high res even more so. I suggest you purchase the most powerful card you can afford. Definitely do not plan on using integrated graphics, if the board you select has it. You will not be happy with the performance.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#15 BBrown1999

BBrown1999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for that.

I suppose one thing I probably should ask...what should I look for in a matx motherboard? I think the B350 should be okay, not planning on multiple gpus...but with many aimed at gamers, it's tricky to know what to look for when all I need is something for content creation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users