Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Alter Display In 98se (also Involves Xp)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jayel

jayel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:12 PM

Well, I finally got 98SE installed and working, but when I tried to run the XP disc to upgrade to that, it wouldn't run. Got an error message but can't remember what it was now and can't find the paper I wrote the details down on. (It is a pain having to share one monitor between the two, but I haven't got space to set two monitors up here.)

It could be that the CD is damaged or corrupted. It has been "kicking around" for ages. My regular computer already had XP installed when I bought it, so I haven't needed the other XP CD for anything since I used it to upgrade the old computer ages ago. ( I am sure the friend I plan on giving the computer to won't mind only having 98, so it is no big deal.)

I do have a problem with the 98, in that I cannot alter the display settings. The settings are just as if the computer is in safe mode (16 colours) and won't alter. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Well the exact error message would help, however go to http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx and click on windows 98, see what hardware might not be compatible, but also, if your harddrive is a raid disk, be sure to get drivers for it before upgrading.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:58 PM

The computer not being able to change settings in the graphics is most likely due to a missing driver for your graphics adapter or a need to reinstall the graphics adapter.

I have not used W98 for several years so I don't remember how to access the device manager in it, but open the device manager and try updating or reinstalling the driver for your graphics adapter (if it even shows there) or reinstalling the graphics adapter if it doesn't.

Without a working cd and the computer set to boot from the cd you will not be able to use the upgrade disk for XP.

Try updating the driver for the cd as well.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

Well I can tell you, that it's a possibility you need SuperVGA or better... it's a requirement of xp.

#5 jayel

jayel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:00 AM

Well I can tell you, that it's a possibility you need SuperVGA or better... it's a requirement of xp.

sorry, what is SuperVGA? and how do I get it?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:26 AM

You get it by upgrading the driver for your video adapter, but you will have to install the driver for W98 if XP is not installed on the computer.

If you succeed in installing XP you will have to update the drivers (all) for XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users