Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are these any good.....or simply Gadgets?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

I suppose the Topic title says most of it all. :)

This is the component (or accessory/gadget) in question.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-DDR3-Laptop-SO-DIMM-to-Desktop-DIMM-Memory-RAM-Connector-Adapter-DDR3/272854650549?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The reason why I ask, are because have several DDR3-800Mhz RAM modules on hand, one 8GB that not long back purchased for $50 & now have no use for, other than it's possible intended usage in a PC. Also don't see myself purchasing a new DDR3 RAM equipped notebook as DDR4 has became mainstream. :)

If anyone has purchased this (doesn't have to be exact brand or source), or know someone who has, any experience (good or bad), I'd like to know. BTW, there is a three year SquareTrade Warranty offered, although at near 2x the price of item. While I'd like to think that fact alone would make this a good accessory, the only way of knowing is to purchase the protection, which makes these more expensive than I want to pay (unless truly needed).

Thanks to any and all input to my inquiry. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:57 PM

Unless memory modules internal architecture has been "universalized", my desktop and my two laptops required very specific architecture, "innards", for the memory modules to be fully recognized and fully utilized by the respective computers.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Roland, that's part of what I figured, just not in the way you put it. :)

Most of the RAM modules in question are for Ivy Bridge/Haswell mobile CPU's, the default 11-11-11-28 timing used, although the 8GB one is 1.35V, recommended for a Samsung notebook am still using, only the module slot went bad, so am stuck with running the soldered 4GB onboard. :(

Yet with a SSD, still fast enough for Windows 8.1 & Linux Mint dual booting in harmony, which wasn't possible with UEFI when model was released. Google Samsung Series 7 Chronos & Linux compatibility, and there'll be lots of 2012-13 articles & forum posts where these were semi-bricked by attempts to install Linux. 

That's why I'm a bit skeptical myself, even if the modules works at first, may not hold up to hard PC use, and by that, am saying I drive mine hard, normally overclocking both the CPU & RAM. These RAM modules has no heatsinks like most that I have & may not hold up in a PC, even at stock settings. Or these may, I don't know & why I ask. 

Will await further input before pulling the trigger on a pair. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

After some research, which I should had done before posting (once my coffee kicked in! :P), discovered while these may work, are intended for testing purposes, maybe to rule out RAM as an issue on notebooks. :)

https://www.amazon.com/JET-5478MK2-204pin-SODIMM-adapter-Metal/dp/B005F0E26S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508787166&sr=8-4&keywords=sodimm+to+dimm+adapter

• Note: This adapter is solely used for testing purpose. Not intended for home use.

What led me to there was the article below, so my question seems to be solved, although would be good to have one for it's intended usage, as I work on other's computers more so than my own. So it's not a gadget, rather an accessory or diagnostic tool, even though two Amazon reviewers stated was able to successfully was able to reuse 32GB of expensive RAM w/out issue. This doesn't imply that everyone will have the same experience.

https://www.ricksdailytips.com/laptop-ram-desktop-adapter/

Sorry about not doing my homework earlier. :)

Cat

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

I have a number of those adapters, one for each flavor.  Diagnostic checks can reveal heat related errors and faulty chips.  Only used on the bench.  Run close to $300. each so not for the hobbyist or tinker or our normal tool kit for the field.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

It's all good!  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users