Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, Liam 479, Have Samsung R730 System Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Liam479

Liam479

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

My first problem post with two issues, 

1  After my laptop crashed I reloaded Windows 7 professional and loaded all the updates, but when i access the  Conputer section, from the start menu.                         I now have an empty folder called, "system reserved (E)"  the folder is empty, but I can't deleat it, any ideas on how I can deleat this spare empty unwanted file, please.

2  Since the reload I am using a cable connection for the internet because no matter what I have tried I cannot activate the internal adapter, it is there and ticked but  deactivated, and when i try to activate it a box appears and asks for User Name and Password, which i dont know what they are or where to get them, I have tried my computer name and password also the Virgin information from their Hub but nothing seems to create a link, The modem or Hub is Virgin and is working as im linked via a cable and my partnes is linked via Wi Fi as well. So its obviously some thing I have or haven't done, hopefully some will notice what I haven't done and can advise me on how to create this internet link .                   see screenshot of Networl page

Mod Edit:  Modified title to reflect topic focus - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2017 - 07:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

In regards to #1 you do not want to delete this partition as it is required to boot the computer. Normally Windows does not assign a drive letter to this partition so it does not show in "Computer". Open Disk Managment and should see the System Reserved partition as Active and about 100MB.

In regards to #2 Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your Network Adapter in Device Manager? You should not need a user name and password if you are connected directly to the gatway via Ethernet. I would call Virgin support. 

I see no screenshot.

#3 Liam479

Liam479
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Hello JohnC_21  The screen shot never properly loaded sorry about that, but WOW the speed of reply was incredible, so I will leave the empty folder alone now I know what its for. As for the wi fi problem I checked and there is a yellow exclamation mark beside the network controller in Device manager.  I have tried updating the driver but no luck so far, I am searching on line for the update, anything else I can do? 

Liam 479

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Right click the Network Controller. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

What is the make and model number of the computer?

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:50 AM

Describe how you reloaded Windows - did you use the factory recovery partition, a CD/DVD you had, a CD/DVD you created from a download, etc.

If you install Windows 7 on a clean disk with no existing partitions, it creates a System Reserved partition at the beginning of the disk and uses the remainder of the unallocated space to create your system drive. That small partition isn’t assigned a drive letter, so you won’t even know it exists unless you look in the Disk Management console or use a low-level utility, such as Diskpart, to inspect the disk structure.

The System Reserved partition consumes 100 MB of space on Windows 7, 350 MB of space on Windows 8, and 500 MB of space on Windows 10.

You should NOT be seeing the System Reserved partition in My Computer and System Reserved should not have a drive letter of F (or any other driver letter)  so something isn't right.  You will have to decide if you want to ignore the problem and live with it forever or do you want to fix it so things are right.

Open Disk Management by clicking the Start button/orb and in the box enter:

diskmgmt.msc

[attachment=199007:Untitled.jpg]

When things are right you should only see the System Reserved partition is 100MB for Windows 7 and there is no drive letter assigned:

[attachment=199008:1.jpg]

On your system do you or do you not see a System Reserved partition of 100MB with no drive letter assigned?

Prior to this reinstall did the wireless connection work properly?

If you provide more information about your system you can figure out what you need to do to get your wireless working:

What is your system make and model or is it something assembled from separately purchased components?

If the system is a Dell what is the Service Tag Number?

If the system is an HP what is the serial number?

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Edited by joseibarra, 24 October 2017 - 01:04 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Liam479

Liam479
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

Hi  JohnC_21 Thank you for the help and advice, I have updated the driver and the connection is fine now so thanks for the help everything seems to be running all right now, Regards Liam

as for the lap top it's a Samsung R730 its several years old but I like the large screen I have up dated it with 4G of ram and a 1G hard drive, plus a new internal cd/dvd player after the last one failed. as for the programme it was bought from PC world when it first came out.  I'm quite happy with it at the moment, I have been offered a free upgrade to windows 10 but not sure of the benefits, that programme seems to be for touch screen tech, and this one is keyboard driven. My last OS was XP until they stopped supporting it and downloads became impossible. I have touch screen my kids clubbed together and gave me a Toshiba Satellite U50t-A-10F but to be honest it doesn't have a CD drive and I find it difficult to navigate, so ill stick with what I'm used to, I am over 70 and still working so that's probably enough, anyway thanks again for the help, I didn't think to look in Device manager. I will remember if I ever have to do this again. Nor sure why the programme produced the spare folder

Regards Liam     

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

You should NOT be seeing the System Reserved partition in My Computer and System Reserved should not have a drive letter of F (or any other driver letter)  so something isn't right.  You will have to decide if you want to ignore the problem and live with it forever or do you want to fix it so things are right.

This is a known bug which pops up once in awhile. For some people it happened after a Windows update. They noticed an additional drive letter in Computer. Others reported it going away after another update. Liam479, if do not want the System Reserved Partition assigned a drive letter it can be removed. It should be removed per the reason stated in the below link. 

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50162.aspx

If the above method does not work then do the following. 

Open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box. Right click and select Run As Administrator. Type:

diskpart

list volume

select volume X     Where X is the number associated with the 100MB partition.

remove letter=E   Make sure this letter is still associated with your System Reserved Partition in Disk Management

exit

exit

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 October 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#8 Liam479

Liam479
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:17 AM

Hi again Chris that's for the advice and link,followed the instructions and the file has disappeared back into the system, and identification letter disappeared. So everything seesm to be running OK thanks for all the help wish I could return the favour.  So thanks again   Liam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users