Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is SSID_MediaMover? Is it a risk?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

Scenario: I have at home a private WiFi network including a desktop computer (Dell XPS 8700, Win 10 Pro 64 bit version 1703, Avast Premier, Malwarebytes Premium), a laptop computer (Dell Inspiron 5537, Win 10 Home 64 bit version 1703, Avast Premier, Malwarebytes Premium), a printer (HP PhotoSmart 6525), a slide scanner, a couple of external HDDs and a UPS from APC.  Internet connection is via a LinkSys EA2700 router. The laptop also travels with me to various water district offices and when there logs into their WiFi networks, currently only one that connects to the Internet via a rather venerable Belkin router.  The computer in that office, in case it matters, is an HP Pavilion 20 AIO running Win 10 Home 64 bit version 1703.

The laptop is set up to log in automatically to the water-office network when I am there, and to my home network when I am home.  When it logs in to the water office network, a "device" appears (Control Panel, Devices and Printers) called SSID_MediaMover.  I gather this is part of the Belkin network setup.  It's not something I ever use, at least not until I know what it's good for.  Media manipulation, I gather?

Now since a recent visit to the water office the same "device" appears on the desktop computer in my home office, with the same icon but now labeled USER-PC:user:  I have to suppose it migrated across my home network from the laptop that inhabits both worlds.

So is this something useful, or something dangerous, or something occupying resources, or what?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users