Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Public vs. Private Network- Personal Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Don't share files, etc. Just for surfing, email.....

For better security, is it best to keep it set to Public Network at all times?

Using Bitdefender Internet Security - set firewall settings to Public there as well?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

No one can answer this question for you as it depends on what you want to do on your network.

I absolutely want to be able to access all of the computers on my home network and media share between them, so setting my home network to be seen as a public network would not be something I could do.

These various settings exist because it is presumed that, if adequate basic security precautions are taken, e.g., you have a strong WiFi password using WPA2 security as well as knowing who can get to your computer(s) and access point, the risk of compromise by the easiest methods are greatly reduced and most people want their machines such that they can share things among them.

If you know that you have only one machine on your network or have no interest in any one machine on your network sharing with any other machine(s) on your network then setting the network type to Public may be something you want to do.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

If you know that you have only one machine on your network or have no interest in any one machine on your network sharing with any other machine(s) on your network then setting the network type to Public may be something you want to do.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users