Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't load up. (Total newb)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RAC86

RAC86

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hi all. First time posting here so I apologise if it's in the wrong place.

My problem is that all of a sudden when turning on my pc now nothing happens. Nothing comes up on the screen or anything. It doesn't make the usual start up beeping noises that a computer makes or anything.

The only thing I can say is that the led light on the CD drive is rapidly flashing so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the CD drive. I don't know if there is a CD in the drive or not

Unfortunately I don't have any information for what my pc is running at so am stuck. Although I know it's on Windows 10. Nothing on the screen at all so don't know what it could be.

Any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Edited by Platypus, 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM.
Appears to be hardware issue, so moved to hardware forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hello RAC86,

My problem is that all of a sudden when turning on my pc now nothing happens

You say PC and not notebook/laptop so am I correct that yours is a desktop type computer, if yes, can you post the full brand and model name or number for us, regarding the flashing CD LED you mention, some brand names use flashing LEDs to give clues when there is a problem knowing your computer details will help us to research this.

Quick question, does your CD/DVD drive have a small circular hole on the front of it.

#3 RAC86

RAC86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hello RAC86,

My problem is that all of a sudden when turning on my pc now nothing happens

You say PC and not notebook/laptop so am I correct that yours is a desktop type computer, if yes, can you post the full brand and model name or number for us, regarding the flashing CD LED you mention, some brand names use flashing LEDs to give clues when there is a problem knowing your computer details will help us to research this.

Quick question, does your CD/DVD drive have a small circular hole on the front of it.

Hi yes im using a desktop pc. I have attached some pics. One is of the label off of the cd drive and two others of the computer and drive.

Also it does look there is a small hole above the eject button on the cd drive yes.

Attached Files

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

K, appears to be a custom build from CyberPower so wont have any error LED codes like a Dell etc would.

Also it does look there is a small hole above the eject button on the cd drive yes.

This only if the drive tray will not open when the eject button is pressed when powered up, with the computer turned off and disconnected from the wall socket, get a straightened out paper clip and insert it into the hole, this to manually release the drives locking device, if there is no disk in the drive there could be something else going on that requires the case to be opened up. 

#5 RAC86

RAC86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

K, appears to be a custom build from CyberPower so wont have any error LED codes like a Dell etc would.

This only if the drive tray will not open when the eject button is pressed when powered up, with the computer turned off and disconnected from the wall socket, get a straightened out paper clip and insert it into the hole, this to manually release the drives locking device, if there is no disk in the drive there could be something else going on that requires the case to be opened up. 

Thankyou. I tried opening the drive via a pin. I felt something happen but it didnt eject the drive. Tried the pin after that and it just feels loose inside the hole, Tried turning power on and nothing. Just the usual flashing light. I then tried opening the case and disconnecting the connectors out of the back of the cd drive. This did nothing but just get rid of the flashing light (obviously lol). The pc still didnt load anything up at all. The screens (I have two) are not even receiving a signal at all. I have no other thoughts lol

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:45 AM

. I tried opening the drive via a pin. I felt something happen but it didnt eject the drive. 

I take it that the drive tray would not open using the button then, what you felt happen suggests that the drive lock was released and the fact that nothing happened may suggest that there could be something jammed.

Not sure that the overall problem is being caused by a problem with your optical drive but as it clearly has a problem I would disconnect the power and SATA cable from the drive to the MB for now.

The pc still didnt load anything up at all. The screens (I have two) are not even receiving a signal at all. 

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the motherboard, the power supply and add on video card if one is used + tell us how many sticks of RAM you have.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:51 AM

Can you boot into the BIOS?  I did a quick search and it appears that either the F1 key or the Delete key is used to access that BIOS at startup.

If you can then I would suggest doing a Refresh.  This basically reinstalls the operating system.  This will not effect you personal files, but it will uninstall all third party programs you have installed.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RAC86

RAC86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:41 AM

The pc still didnt load anything up at all. The screens (I have two) are not even receiving a signal at all. 

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the motherboard, the power supply and add on video card if one is used + tell us how many sticks of RAM you have.

Sorry for late reply. I have took some photos of the motherboard, ram and video card. Hope they are ok, The ram sticks I have two off. Thanks

Attached Files

#9 RAC86

RAC86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:44 AM

Can you boot into the BIOS?  I did a quick search and it appears that either the F1 key or the Delete key is used to access that BIOS at startup.

If you can then I would suggest doing a Refresh.  This basically reinstalls the operating system.  This will not effect you personal files, but it will uninstall all third party programs you have installed.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Hi. Thanks for the advice but unfortunately the computer wont even load anything up onto the screens. I have two and both receive no signal at all when turning on the computer. Therefore cant access the bios screen. I did try it with the f1 key and delete but nothing happened. Any other advice would be great though, Thanks again.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

No problem, we understand you have other things to attend to.

Cannot see the exact model name on the MB (same for the PSU) but the board appears to have onboard video available, with the computer, screen, printer etc powered down and disconnected from the wall socket, ground yourself on the PSU, disconnect your screens from the GPU then physically remove the add on video card from the MB, connect a single screen to the MBs video port, plug in the PC and screen then power up, let us know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users