Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU & motherboard both sending 'no video signal' to monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rumpled

Rumpled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:16 AM

Hey all. I run an R9 390x GPU on a MSI Z270i motherboard, and while using the PC a few hours ago (not doing anything out of the ordinary, no new drivers or anything), the screen suddenly went black. I restarted the computer, and even though the fans and motherboard lights are active, I'm still just getting a "no video signal" message on my monitor.

I have tried:
- changing from DisplayPort to HDMI on the GPU (no difference)
- testing the monitor by connecting it to my old laptop (turns out the monitor and HDMI connection are both working fine)
- removing the GPU on my PC and trying to connect the monitor directly to the motherboard, both through DisplayPort and through HDMI (no difference. Still just "no video signal". This is about when I started getting properly worried...)
- clearing the CMOS (no result)

Any ideas? The one time something similar to this has happened, it turned out that my GPU had gotten unseated somehow. But that's definitely not the case this time -- I've re-seated it twice now, and the GPU fans are spinning when I turn it on, so it's clearly connected. My keyboard lights up when I turn it on, so power is still going to the peripherals. I've currently got the GPU unseated, but I'm just getting no video signal no matter what I do, and so can't even access the BIOS. Any help would be enormously appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Hello Rumpled,

Try removing and replacing the RAM, if you have more than one stick, try testing with one stick at a time and if using a USB keyboard try a wired PS/2 type one if available.

#3 Rumpled

Rumpled
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've tried testing with one stick of RAM at a time (I've got two), but it made no difference. The computer still seems to turn on, but sends no video signal to the monitor. I'm using a wired keyboard, so I don't think that can be doing anything.

Any other ideas?

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

- removing the GPU on my PC and trying to connect the monitor directly to the motherboard, both through DisplayPort and through HDMI (no difference. Still just "no video signal". 

For absolute clarity, by the above you mean that you physically removed the R9 390x GPU from the motherboard before trying the onboard video ports.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the PSU + the processor details please.

You are welcome btw  :)

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

removing the GPU on my PC and trying to connect the monitor directly to the motherboard

That board has integrated video, but the CPU you are using must support Integrated Video. Since you did not post your CPU type, check to make sure that the CPU you are running supports integrated video. If it does, and the I.Video does not work, you have a motherboard failure. IF that is the case, check if it is still covered by warranty.

If the CPU does NOT support I.V., then you must test the board with a CPU that does support it (I know....that's a really hard one-where are you going to get another CPU to test?).

If your CPU does NOT support I.V., try to get you hands on another video card that you can swap out with. If suddenly you get video, your card went bad. If you still get the same result (nothing on the monitor) you are back to a motherboard failure again.

Edited by ranchhand_, 26 October 2017 - 04:55 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users