Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace Win 10 HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:58 AM

I have two HP machines running the free upgraded Windows 10. One is "dying" ;video failing and HP has stopped supporting it, the other is healthy. But the healthy machine only has a small HDD. The failing machine has a large HDD with several partitions.

I want to clone the OS from the healthy machine onto the C: partition of the failing machine's HDD so putting this HDD in the healthy machine.

Can I use EaseUs or similar to perform this task; it seems similar to putting a new HDD in the healthy machine? Only difference is I want to retain the other partitions on the large HDD  as I intend to amalgamate the functions of the two machines on to one (largest partition holds many GB of images); the healthy machine does not do much these days, so also using it for running Photoshop Elements will not strain it  (already taken the extra 4GB memory from the sick machine to make 8GB in total).

Any advice please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

What is the make and model of the two computers?

Have you tried changing the graphics drivers or upgrading them in the Device Manager?

If the hdd is failing there is a better than good chance that you already have file corruption.  Cloning a drive in this condition may not produce a usable image of this drive.  I would suggest that you run a couple of scans to determine the condition of the hdd.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

How to make a screenshot and post it in your topic

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

posting-options1.png

When you click on More Relpy Options you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

posting-options2.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:23 AM

Sorry I should explain more. As one machine is dying; video card and no more support from HP, I will take this opportunity to get rid of one box and use the healthy machine to mainly run web surfing, emails and odd
tasks (nothing meaty) and Photoshop Elements; PS is currently run on the sick machine. Both machines share keyboard, mouse and monitor and run the free Windows 10 upgrade.

But the sick machine has a large HDD which I want to put into the healthy machine but take the OS from the healthy machine i.e it is really just a HDD swap on the healthy machine. But that large HDD is partitioned and I would like keep those partitions and just overwrite its C: with the healthy machines C:. I know just copying one C : over another will not work.  It needs some method to make the "overwrite" a true OS.

That is why I asked about clone/image software. Also found some free Runtime.org software. Would that achieve what I want?

If so what process do I have to do.

If I cant keep those partitions I have the data backed up so can treat the HDD as one partition and repartition later and add back the data.

Does this explain my situation better?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

When Windows is being installed one of the last things that occurs during installation is where Windows loads the necessary drivers needed to boot into the operating system.  These drivers are for the components on the motherboard.  If you take a ssd/hdd that had Windows installed on one computer and then installed it in another computer that has a different motherboard the drive may not be able to boot because the drivers do not match the drivers needed for the different motherboard.

There is a way around this, that is to use the sysprep.exe.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications.

Press the windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin.) from the menu.  This will open the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown in the Command Prompt.

Once you have completed this shut down the computer and do not power the drive back on until it has been installed with the different motherboard.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

When the computer is started Windows will search for the needed drivers needed to start Windows.

Edited by dc3, 23 October 2017 - 11:13 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thank you.

Job for later this evening; new WAP to install first.

#6 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

Sorry something else gone wrong; not computer related, but means have to give up this for today

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users