Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux not booting properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:41 AM

When I first turn on the switch I get black screen.

then I power off and power on again after which I get a menu. I pick the first

Sometimes I am lucky and get a linux logo and a small list of choices at the top left of the screen: M for manual, S to skip mounting.

I pick 'S' and linux will boot.

This problem has been going on a long time, but it stopped for a while when I reinstalled.

But I recently went into gnome disk manager because I could not access the volume of an action camera through the USB port.  I clicked a few things and perhaps made a mistake in the disk configuration. Since then booting has gotten worse.

I would appreciate any suggestions from anyones\ who who knows the configuration disk manager for the main HDD volume

Attached File  Screenshot disk manager.png   161.21KB   0 downloads

I have read of a boot repair program:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=207529

I want to be assured first that the presence of a veracrypt volume will not affect this, since it takes part of the HDD out.

From my preliminary research, I think Linux or Grub is failing to launch the root file system, and that is causing the system to freeze and go black screen.

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-fix-linux-boot-problems

Edited by Al1000, 25 October 2017 - 09:48 AM.
moved from Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

If you just recently installed, I would just do a clean install of the OS again. Though, even if you have been running Mint for a while, I would still just do a clean install. Probably the simplest fix. One thing that kind of concerns me is the "FAILED SELF TEST" error on your drive. Might want to consider running some diagnostics on it and make sure the drive isn't failing.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

@Achaemenid

It is possible that the problem is hardware related, considering that it has gotten worse over a period of time.

Can you boot and run properly from a live USB or CD?  If so, then I would suspect the HDD and not the RAM.

Can you post the make and model of your physical hard drive, ie Western Digital Caviar WDxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?

Every manufacturer supplies physical drive testing software, which can used to determine if there is a problem with the drive, it's self.

Cheers!

Naught

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

Achaemenid,

Is this the same computer as you are asking about in this topic:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/652012/white-line-across-screen-linux-mint-172/

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

Achaemenid,

Is this the same computer as you are asking about in this topic:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/652012/white-line-across-screen-linux-mint-172/

Yes, it is.

The HDD not that old. 2-3 years.

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

@Achaemenid

It is possible that the problem is hardware related, considering that it has gotten worse over a period of time.

Can you boot and run properly from a live USB or CD?  If so, then I would suspect the HDD and not the RAM.

Can you post the make and model of your physical hard drive, ie Western Digital Caviar WDxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?

Every manufacturer supplies physical drive testing software, which can used to determine if there is a problem with the drive, it's self.

Cheers!

Naught

MODEL
WDC WD5000LPCX-2
BD-RW   BDR-TD03

#7 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:58 AM

If you just recently installed, I would just do a clean install of the OS again. Though, even if you have been running Mint for a while, I would still just do a clean install. Probably the simplest fix. One thing that kind of concerns me is the "FAILED SELF TEST" error on your drive. Might want to consider running some diagnostics on it and make sure the drive isn't failing.

Yes, I was worried about that too, so I started moving everything into an external drive backup.

But with that I moved .kdb files I has created for KeePassX.  Then keepass did not work because they had been on the desktop.

How would I get started on these diagnostics, please?

Edited by Achaemenid, 25 October 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Here is a bootable Western Digital diagnostics tool.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

Yes, it is.

• In that case I will close the older topic. There is no need to have more than one topic for each issue. Having more than one topic can cause confusion both for the person receiving advice, and for those offering. Please continue to use this topic, to address this problem.
  • Because it has been established that the problem is with hardware, and not Linux software, I will move this topic to the appropriate forum. I will also leave a link to the topic in the Linux forum, so that you and everyone else that has contributed can easily find it.

Edited by Al1000, 25 October 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Regarding the question you asked in your duplicate topic:

The only way I know of that you can check to see if the problem is with the graphics chip or the monitor, is to plug the laptop into another monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users