Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Returned HP All-In-One Printer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EncoMan

EncoMan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:32 PM

I need a decent AIO printer for my home office.  I wanted something similar to an old Canon AIO
that lasted for many years.

After searching for several hours I found the HP Envy 4520.  This model seemed to have everything
I wanted.  A black and tri-color cartridge, instead of four, five, or six seperate color tanks.  The
compact dimensions were perfect for a shelf next to my computer table.  Finally, Amazon had an
astounding number of reviews (almost 3,900) with an overall 4 out of 5 star rating.

Perhaps the unit I received was defective, but it had to be returned.  After playing with all the software
and touchscreen settings I managed to produce acceptable prints.  I could never create a decent PDF
with the scan function.  Copying was the worst.  A very clear black and white document produced
copies that were grainy and distorted.

I don't print, copy, or scan a lot in my home office.  Since I don't print photos, all I need is a good
AIO, it doesn't have to be great!

I'm very disappointed that the Envy 4520 had to be returned.  I prefer a two cartridge AIO (black and
tri-color) like my old Canon printer.  Since I had such bad luck with the HP printer, I need guidance
or suggestions before trying again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

What is your price point?  I'm showing the HP Envy 4520 goes for about $60.  Expecting quality at that price point is not realistic.

How much do you print?

What other feature are must have?  (Copy, scan, fax, duplexing)

#3 EncoMan

EncoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:01 PM

I was very naive when I started searching for a new AIO printer.  My old Canon printer (Pixma MP450)
required a couple of minor repairs over many years.  I suppose I thought the darn thing would last
forever!

After wasting several hours reading about various models I was feeling depressed.  Many higher priced
AIO printers had very negative expert and customer reviews.  I know the HP Envy 4520 is cheap, but it
had thousands of positive customer reviews.  It's likely the unit I received was defective.

Kilroy, I didn't use my old Canon printer frequently.  I don't live near a big office supply store like Staples
or OfficeMax, so I need an AIO printer in my home office for occasional use.

I'd like an AIO with print, copy, scan, and duplexing functions.  Many AIO printers over $100.00 have
faxing too.

Because the Envy 4520 was so disappointing, I want to be sure my next AIO printer is good.  I'm not
concerned about printer speed, so I don't need a high end model.  Wireless connectivity seems to be
common with most printers.  I use a USB cable.  I don't print photos, so all I need are clear copies,
decent scans for PDFs, etc.  If you can recommend an AIO at a mid-range price point that would be
great.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,357 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

I can recommend the Canon AIO in the TS series from the 6020 on up if FAXing is not essential (at least at the 6020 level).

They do, however, use separate ink tanks for each color plus a dye-based black and pigmented black tank, for five in total.  I far prefer this arrangement as I have yet to own any printer that uses a tri-color cartridge where one of the colors does not go out before the other two, costing a fortune in tri-color cartridge replacements when it's only one color that's run out.

I have a 5020 and a 6020 and both make beautiful prints for documents and photos.  The 5020 does not support automatic duplex printing.  It seems that the differences as you go up the numbers in this particular range is the variety of features, not the print quality.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

I have have a Brother office AIO printer, it was around the $100. range when I got it almost 7yrs ago and it still works without a hitch. It does not print photo's very well...in fact it really sux at photo printing but it is very good at printing docs. It doesn't print both sides at the same time but it does scan/fax well, and uses 4 ink cartridges too. Model MFC-J615W

Edited by Joe C, 24 October 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,886 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

Over the years I've serviced many makes of printers and found HP to be the most dependable when the price is over  $150.  USD.  Below that mark, either the ink is overpriced or is not a well known brand.  I have owned a Canon, Okidata, Epson, NEC, Brother and Lexmark besides the many HP units.  The units priced at $50. or so are prone to failure and the mfgr will ship a new one under warranty  ONE TIME, then you're stuck with two broken printers as they don't want the old ones back.  I currently have the 1550 model and it has been the best so far, easy on the ink and handles the stiffer photo paper well.  I have a C5500 workhorse for the network that will also print on CD/DVD media and on 3 by 5 photo cards.  the ink is high but refills of generic work fine for normal color prints but keep fresh/new cartridges for photos to keep colors true.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users