Hello! [long post warning]
So my problem consists of various problems on the computer but I get the feeling that they are somehow related. My laptop has fairly decent specs and the problems haven't always been there, which leads me to believe something is amiss! The are not major things, but when combined, make for a frustrating experience! I will list the main things and then how I've tried to fix them.
Laptop Specs (from Speccy):
- Lenovo Ideapad Y700
- Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Intel core i5 6300HG @ 2.30GHz
- RAM: 1 stick of 8.00GB DDR4 @ 1064MHz
- Motherboard: Lenovo Allsparks 5A (U3E1)
- Graphics Card: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
- Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10SPCX-24HWST1 (SATA)
- It advertised an 8gb SSD but I opened it up and it wasn't there
1. When I press the start button it often takes a good 5 seconds to respond. But once is has been opened once, it responds instantly to successive clicks
2. Similarly, when I press the search button and proceed to type something, it lags out and doesn't respond for a time. Again, after I have searched once, it becomes responsive. Right clicking the desktop and other things also follow the same pattern.
3. My disk is occasionally working at 100%, especially while gaming. Open worl survival games such as Rust, PUBG, DayZ and even Unturned take a considerable amount of time to load. In some, the in game textures don't load for a time making the game unplayable
4. Directly after gaming, everything on my laptop becomes unresponsive, and games take a considerable amount of time to fully stop running (sometimes I have to go in to task manager and manually stop the process).
Solutions I have tried:
1 and 2: -Disabling start up programs
- Disabling Cortana
- Disabling what shows up (recently used apps etc.)
3. I have played around with the settings, turned everything to low. I have disabled the XBOX apps. I have disabled windows search and superfetch. I have tried to play in windowed mode. I have shutdown everything so its just the game running. I have gone into the games config files to change refresh rates and core usage. I have set affinity to high AND to low
4. I believe that while the game is running, more and more memory is being used up and not being freed. So when I finish, it has to allocate memory back to the normal processes. Not too sure about this one!
On top of these things I have done the usual defrag, CClean, malware removal, driver updates, windows updates, hard drive Consolidation and chkdsk repair.
It feels like I have insufficient RAM or lack of an SSD, so maybe I need an upgrade. However I was looking for a solution that doesn't involve hardware upgrades. If upgrading my hardware is the only solution, I'm looking for confirmation.
Thank you in advance!