Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP does not recognize partition.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VirtualOfficeAssist

VirtualOfficeAssist

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

IDE HDD Drive recognized and shows correct size in bios. Windows won't load though. It doesn't recognize HDD. I have taken everything out one by one cleaned and reinserted. No change. Using disk to repair but when i get to where it shows partitions this is what it says. 8057 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on staph (Setup cannot access this disk)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 VirtualOfficeAssist

VirtualOfficeAssist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

I find it very suspicious that the computer was working perfectly until I turned Windows update on the other day. Next time I started computer I got this.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

On another computer download the iso for Seatools for DOS. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image or use isoburner. Boot the Disk and attempt to do a short test. If it passes do the long test.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

#4 VirtualOfficeAssist

VirtualOfficeAssist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

I don't have any cd. Can I write to usb instead?

#5 VirtualOfficeAssist

VirtualOfficeAssist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:28 PM

I will pick up some RW CD's tomorrow. I will let you know what happens

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

8057 MB Disk

What capacity is the HDD? A drive appearing to be 8GB when it is of larger capacity is commonly caused by the drive being accessed in CHS mode instead of LBA mode, as this is the capacity calculated from the default cylinder head and sector values returned by an LBA drive to a CHS query.

The system is probably of an age where the CMOS backup battery might not be holding the BIOS setup parameters reliably, and they could have become corrupted. My first step with this symptom would be to replace the backup battery and clear the CMOS settings, either by leaving it several hours before fitting the new battery, or using the CLR_CMOS (or similar) jumper located somewhere on most boards. Then see if the drive becomes correctly recognized.

Edited by Platypus, 22 October 2017 - 09:38 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 VirtualOfficeAssist

VirtualOfficeAssist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

It is a 40 GB hard drive so you are correct there. I will also pick up a new battery tomorrow and try that venue. Thanks you two.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

You can use Rufus with the iso file but if the XP computer is fairly old it may not support booting from a USB flash drive. Backup any data on the flash drive first as it will be formatted.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users