Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Triple Boot with EasyBCD

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hey guys, just ran into a problem with my new Triple Boot

1. Windows 7

2. Linux Mint KDE 17.2

3. Mint Mate 18.2

I Installed Windows 7, Installed and Added KDE to the Boot Menu in EasyBCD, Then Installed Mate and Added it to the Boot Menu the same exact way.

Both KDE and Mate Bootloaders were Installed to the Root of the Their Respective Partitions.  When Adding both Linux Distros to EasyBCD, I chose Grub2 and the Respective Partition of Root for that Distro.

The only thing I can think of is, Maybe somehow I got the Bootloader Installed to the WRONG partition.  If so, I'm lost and will need the help of the Alien Linux Guru's here lol.  Need to find out where that Mate Bootloader went too?  I was messing about with some stuff on that last Install, and maybe the Bootloader Destination changed while doing so.  

Windows 7 and KDE Boot fine, but when I choose Mint Mate from the first boot menu presented (I assume it's Windows) it then brings me to what looks like the Grub2 Menu, but there is no Entry there for Mate?  There is only KDE and Windows 7.

Is there something different between the 17.xx and 18.xx Series that would mess this up, or am I just not doing something right because a third OS is being added?

I Dual Booted KDE 17.1 and Mint Mate 18.0 on another laptop Using Grub2 and it worked.  The two did not work well together on that laptop for other reasons, but I thought I would give it a go on another laptop. 

Thanks pcunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Boot into KDE and then from the terminal type sudo update-grub .That should correct your boot issue. You can then just discard Easy BCD and the grub bootloader will take over from there-

Edited by paul88ks, 22 October 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

Here is my Boot Repair Report if anyone can help.  It looks like I did get Grub2 onto sda8

http://paste.ubuntu.com/25798945/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

Boot into KDE and then from the terminal type sudo update-grub .That should correct your boot issue. You can then just discard Easy BCD and the grub bootloader will take over from there-

I don't think that will work paul, but I wanted EasyBCD? I just don't understand why it is not Triple Booting, but don't have lot's of experience with this so...

Also, KDE is booting fine, so how would Updating Grub inside KDE help put Mate's Grub Entry in the Bootloader Menu?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

I think my mistake was not placing the Mint Mate Bootloader on the Root of KDE, can someone verify that?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:40 PM

I don't think that will work paul, but I wanted EasyBCD? I just don't understand why it is not Triple Booting, but don't have lot's of experience with this so...

Also, KDE is booting fine, so how would Updating Grub inside KDE help put Mate's Grub Entry in the Bootloader Menu?

When you update grub from inside KDE ,Grub will look for all operating systems that are present,including your Mate install.then when you reboot it should be listed in the boot menu. If that doesnt work reinstall Mate and make sure to put the bootloader in the same partition as Mate.I've done a lot of triple boot machines,even 4,5,6, OS's at a time. Let me know if that works for you!

I think my mistake was not placing the Mint Mate Bootloader on the Root of KDE, can someone verify that?

That is correct,place the bootloader in the same partition as KDE!

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Can someone show me how to Move the Bootloader to the Root of the KDE partition?

Thanks paul!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Can I boot into Mint Mate by Marking That Partition as Active somehow, then I could try to move the Bootloader, or else I have to Re-Install?

If so, do I do this from Windows 7 or KDE?

Thanks

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

I've done a lot of triple boot machines,even 4,5,6, OS's at a time. Let me know if that works for you!

Yes, but have you ever done this with EasyBCD?

If that doesnt work reinstall Mate and make sure to put the bootloader in the same partition as Mate.

This is what I did to start with as can be seen by the Boot Report Output.

That is correct,place the bootloader in the same partition as KDE!

Just did this and it did not work?  I did this and then Added the Mint Mate to the EasyBCD Bootloader, and that is what I saw someone do on youtube.

I will try to update-grub now and re-add Mate to the EasyBCD

Edited by pcpunk, 26 October 2017 - 02:13 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

I will try to update-grub now and re-add Mate to the EasyBCD

This seemed to do the Trick Paul

Once I Re-Installed and put Bootloader to the Root of KDE system, and Updated Grub from KDE, then Re-Added Mate to the EBCD Bootloader all worked after a few reboots.

I won't do this again though, at least not with EasyBCD, because it does not help me all that much, and takes longer to boot, with more Hoops to go through.  Maybe good for a Dual Boot but not Triple the way I have it working.  Maybe I'm doing/did something wrong I don't know?  No where on their pages did I see how to do the Triple Boot so would not use the program again anyhow.  I will try one more...maybe...?

Thanks for the help paul88ks, should have stuck with Grub, and will next time, but will need to become familiar with Manually Editing Grub to get the OS I want to boot first during different times and needs.

pcpunk out

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

Glad you got it working! I've only used Easy BCD for the initial dual-boot . Once the bootloader sees two OS's,then you can add as many as you like. Just boot into the previous install and update Grub. for example - say you  want to have a Windows/Ubuntu/Mate triple boot machine. Install Windows,then ubuntu,then list both in Easy BCD. Now both OS's should show up in the bootloader. Now install Mate. Then boot back into Ubuntu and update grub. then reboot,and all three OS's should be listed in the grub bootloader. after that , you can uninstall easy BCD. repeat the process for additional Os's- Paul

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

also - once you can boot into KDE - then update grub again,and the next time you boot up - KDE will be at the top of the list- and so on and so on!

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

Well I did it wrong then but it works lol

I don't understand the part where you Un-Install EasyBCD, why would one do that, but instead just use Grub2 for all boot devices and not install EasyBCD at all?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,852 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

also - once you can boot into KDE - then update grub again,and the next time you boot up - KDE will be at the top of the list- and so on and so on!

Why do this, that was the Point of Installing and using EasyBCD, it makes it very easy to change Boot order?  I guess I'm missing something.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

When i did my first Dual-boot machine- Windows/ Linux I could not get the linux install to show up at boot - only Windows. So - I used Easy Bcd to help me boot into Linux. After that, I just updated grub from Linux and canned Easy Bcd. i don't use it at all. I've never tried using it for a triple-boot machine. Apparently you had a similar issue. I only use grub as the boot loader.personally ,I don't need to change the boot order of an OS, since grub will list them all at boot- but that's just me-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users