Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help to set up home network with the hardware I have

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Layfield50

Layfield50

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.

I live in a fairly remote location and only able to get internet service from a community wifi internet transmitter located some 600 meters away. My wife and I can receive a signal that is good enough that we can both watch Netflix at the same time, me on my desktop PC and her on our Lenovo laptop.

This is where I need some help; I have an Asus RT-N66U router with which I'd like to re-broadcast the wifi received by my PC so I have a signal for our smart TV and my iPhone neither of which currently are able to pick up wifi.

The adaptor in my PC is a D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN; it acquires and maintains a connection pretty good for the most part. Am I expecting too much thinking I can acquire an internet connection on the Asus router through the D-Link adaptor?

Again, thanks for any forthcoming help.

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

I'm pretty sure you could use Internet Connection Sharing and connect your router to your laptop as a switch (turn off DHCP and use the LAN ports).  My experience with Internet Connection Sharing is back in the dial up days and it worked, but a router was always a better solution.

Essentially you'd be using the wireless connection on your laptop to connect to the Internet and the LAN connect to share it with the TV.  The laptop would need to be on to use the TV connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users