Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent BSODs and hangs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael_G

Michael_G

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

I started getting several different BSODs a few weeks ago. I did a reset, and restored files from my latest backup. Then I started to reinstall programs that had been removed, a couple at a time to see if any of them caused a problem. Since then, things have improved, but I still get random BSODs or the computer just hangs, or restarts by itself.

Examples of BSOD: "Attempted Execute of Noexecute memory"

3 days later - "System Service Exception"

2 days later - "Driver IRQL not less or equal"  and "System Thread Exception not handled, file that failed - bcmwl63al.sys"

Then today - another "Driver IRQL not less or equal."

I have the latest BIOS available from Dell and Windows update is current.

I have attached the Sysnative zip file and the Speccy txt file.

I tried to publish the Speccy file with copy to clipboard, but it would not work.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

As the latest BIOS for your system dates from 2010 - you have to wonder if the system is compatible with Windows 10.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to test this is to install the original OS and see if problem goes away.

Only 11 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.
Additionally, the 1703 and 1709 updates are out (Creator's Update and Fall Creator's Update) - yet your system remains on the 1607 (Anniversary Update)

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
The purpose of this question is to get you to evaluate your PSU.
- PSU's tend to get less efficient with age
- adding components over time may decrease the ability of the PSU to support the entire system (Maybe remove some stuff to see if that helps?)
- while you can measure the output of a PSU with a multimeter, the readings may change dramatically when the PSU is put under load.  PSU testing instructions (by dc3) here:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/654994/pc-is-crashingfreezing-up-multiple-times-daily/page-2#entry4341756
- there's a free PSU test in the OCCT program at http://www.ocbase.com/

The 2 memory dumps are suggestive of a hardware problem - but the earlier one seems to be a bit corrupted and it's not letting the scripts do their work.

I'd suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Michael_G

Michael_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

To update -

The BIOS is old, but when Windows 10 was introduced, Dell claimed that my machine was compatible; and Microsoft indicated that it was also. Of course, that may no longer be the case. The original OS was Windows 7, which isn't supported any longer. It's too bad that other vendors don't produce updated BIOS for machines.

I mentioned that Windows update was current because when I went into Windows Update under Settings, it told me that I was up to date. I have now gone to Windows download site and I have updated to the 1709 update. I don't know why Windows Update indicated that I had all available updates when the others that you mentioned were available.

I'm not sure how to check the wattage of the power supply. However, since the additional 500GB hard drive had only DVD and BLU-ray files that I rarely access, I copied those to an external hard drive and removed the 500GB drive from my system.

One of the failures that I had indicated a file that failed, which turned out to be a Broadcom driver for the Dell wireless adapter. So, I removed that from the PC and I am temporarily using a Linksys wireless adapter to see if there's a difference.

I'll followup if there are still problems. Is there anything else I should check at this time?

Thanks,

Mike

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:08 AM

There's several different reasons for the "missing" updates.

One is that an update may have been released after the last time that Windows checked

Another is that your system may not be in the queue for that particular update unless you check for it

And finally, Microsoft "stages" updates in order to manage their release and to help them with assessing the update's impact.

In the case of the Fall Creators Update, they sent the update to newer machines first and will include older machines later on.

Now we wait and see if there are any further BSOD's
If you don't get one within a week - then it's likely to have been fixed

If you don't get one within 2 weeks - then it's probably fixed.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users