Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TP-link 6980 as range extender (wirelessly)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 raminlich

raminlich

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Hi,
i have a wireless modem at the end of the house so signal is weak for my PC and i cant move it closer, before i had a Tp-link 6980 so i thought to extend range of main modem with this one but i have some problems.
main modem is for my isp and not so much info about it on internet.
tried to bridge with this tutorial

but i didnt find bridge mode in my main modem

do have any solution for me?
Note : i want to do it without cable.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

OK first, you are not trying to bridge. you are trying to repeat and extend the wireless signal.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

OK first, you are not trying to bridge. you are trying to repeat and extend the wireless signal. So, do you happen to have a laptop? If so is it windows based? If it is download the Acrylic Wifi Scanner from the link provided and scan for your wireless network. You need to measure the RSSI of your network. Take several readings, near the modem and where you intend to place the TP-link 6980.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#4 raminlich

raminlich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

OK first, you are not trying to bridge. you are trying to repeat and extend the wireless signal. So, do you happen to have a laptop? If so is it windows based? If it is download the Acrylic Wifi Scanner from the link provided and scan for your wireless network. You need to measure the RSSI of your network. Take several readings, near the modem and where you intend to place the TP-link 6980.

well sorry, im not very good at network things :)

as for laptop i have to say no , but i installed this software you provided and RSSI of my main modem was -78 and signal quality was 1/5 star , from where i want to place my 6980 it was -47.

so now what do u think?

Thanks.

#5 raminlich

raminlich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

Does even possible to do this without cable between two modems?

Edited by raminlich, 23 October 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:25 AM

So let me make sure I understand. Where you want to place the repeater your signal strength is -47 rssi is that correct. Also when you measured you signal strength near the modem it was -78 rssi is that correct?

A. Lattimore

#7 raminlich

raminlich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:14 AM

So let me make sure I understand. Where you want to place the repeater your signal strength is -47 rssi is that correct. Also when you measured you signal strength near the modem it was -78 rssi is that correct?

Yes second modem ( 6980 ) that i want to use as repeater was -47 rssi , and that -78 was main modem not repeater and i wasn't close to it cuz i said i dont have laptop and it has -78 rssi.

im not trying to be rude , but just wondering why all this signal measuring is so important for configuring the repeater? surely i can get far better signal with repeater so why bother with measuring , i just cant find out how to configure it!

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

The reason you are measuring signal strength is to determine if you have enough signal for the repeater to pick up, clean up, and rebroadcast. Also from what you are telling me -78 rssi is a poor signal. You will have to move the repeater a little closer. I recommend that you find a spot where you pick up -65 rssi. From this spot, you should place the repeater.

A. Lattimore

#9 raminlich

raminlich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:58 PM

The reason you are measuring signal strength is to determine if you have enough signal for the repeater to pick up, clean up, and rebroadcast. Also from what you are telling me -78 rssi is a poor signal. You will have to move the repeater a little closer. I recommend that you find a spot where you pick up -65 rssi. From this spot, you should place the repeater.

oh thank you for this

and one more thing can you explain how to configure ?

i just know dont know how i must do it i've searched internet but all i found was with cable!

#10 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

What is the exact model number of this repeater look underneath to find the model number? I have searched for TP-link 6980 and nothing comes up.

A. Lattimore

#11 raminlich

raminlich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

What is the exact model number of this repeater look underneath to find the model number? I have searched for TP-link 6980 and nothing comes up.

Made mistake here  :grinner:

TP-link 8968

this was the correct model

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Well, unfortunately, your TP-Link TD-W8969 cannot be configured as a repeater. But there is an economical solution to resolve your problem the TP-Link TL-WA855RE. The max of these you can have on your network is 2. So, for under $50.00 you can greatly expand the wireless coverage in your home. 

A. Lattimore

#13 raminlich

raminlich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

oh ok 

Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic