Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Doesn't Have a Valid IP Configuration

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AdityaS

AdityaS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:21 PM

I am unable to access my internet through on my PC through Ethernet and when I try troubleshooting it says - Problem Found - "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

I tried various methods to solve the error but without any success. Some methods I used are as follows:

1.Disabling Fast Boot
2.Resetting my Router manually
3.Going to Command Prompt and typing "ipconfig /release" which gives the message - " An error occurred while releasing Interface Ethernet : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint."
4.Going to Command Prompt and typing "ipconfig /renew" which gives the message - "An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permission"

In above steps I used Command Prompt with Administrative Privileges.

I suspect that my PC may have been infected by a virus which is blocking my internet.

Note that I am able to connect to the Internet through Wireless Connection on my mobile device (on which I am accessing this site)

Kindly help

I am running on Windows 10. I have no antivirus installed.As a matter of fact I was supposed to install my Bit Defender Antivirus today, but on running the installer, it prompted me to uninstall my previous antivirus (Avast), since whose un-installation I couldn't access my Internet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Try these in the following order. 

Remove the power cord. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and boot. If this does not solve the problem then

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key and X > Command Prompt as Admin. It may be called Powershell. Type the following commands and reboot.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

If the above netsh commands do not work and if System Restore is enabled do a System Restore before the problem occurred.

Windows 10 gives the option to do a reset keeping personal files but all programs would need to be reinstalled. Remember to backup any bookmarks. 

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi, we get a lot of these problems in remote Asian villages the most effective fix is to use cmd prompt, unfortunately powershell does not recognize ipconfig. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy each of these cmds and then paste them one at a time into the cmd prompt window pressing enter after each one. Do not worry about being told a restart is needed, you will do this when all cmds are finished.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
netcfg -d
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Do not forget to restart when finished, this is similar to what John asked, just ensuring all aspects are reset. BTW it is not necessary to do a reset to repair network problems since creators update, MS have included a network reset under PC settings, Network and Internet, you can try this if the above does not work.

#4 AdityaS

AdityaS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:41 AM

Try these in the following order. 

Remove the power cord. Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Attach the power cord and boot. If this does not solve the problem then

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key and X > Command Prompt as Admin. It may be called Powershell. Type the following commands and reboot.

netsh winsock reset
If the above netsh commands do not work and if System Restore is enabled do a System Restore before the problem occurred.

Windows 10 gives the option to do a reset keeping personal files but all programs would need to be reinstalled. Remember to backup any bookmarks. 

I reset my Windows keeping all my personal files. Then I downloaded a Original Bitdefender Antivirus to prevent any attacks. It worked.

But after using for 6-7 hours the problem came back. Is there a permanent solution to the problem ?

Edited by AdityaS, 25 October 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Windows menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy and paste the commands JohnC_21 posted one at a time pressing Enter after each command.

netsh winsock reset

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users