Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Burner?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 365_days_gone

365_days_gone

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

I am able to burn music CDs and video that only plays on my computer. Do I need a special type of burner to burn 1hr 45mins of home video that can be played on my DVD player??

Edited by 365_days_gone, 21 September 2006 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:59 PM

Yes, You need a dvd burner/writer/reader you can find them at your local frys electronics. However, if you have a dvd burner, then you actually need a special type of dvd player that can read those types of discs... they are somewhat expensive... however, by the sound of it, either the cds you use, or the burner is not very forgiving, so I suggest you talk to someone about which one to buy, dvd+r I have seen work. If you want to discuss this further, you can give me the name of your burner, and we'll look into it further.

#3 365_days_gone

365_days_gone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:08 PM

How do I know if my computer has a DVD burner or not? Cause like I said, I have burned videos that play through WMP before. But Im pretty sure that the only reason they will not play on my DVD player is because I did not format them to a DVD format. But I recently did that with one of my videos and then got Nero. Are you good with Nero? Would you mind helping me through how to burn it just to see if it works? I've already formatted it. The instructions for how to burn on Nero are kind of broad. And I've seen a detailed way of doing it here: http://www.videohelp.com/nerodvd, but I cannot seem to get the program into Classic mode which is what those insturtions show it in.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

haha technically I despise nero... but so long as you purchased it, it's not too bad of a thing. Allrighty, first thing is first, I want you to go to the start button>my computer> control pane(it's on the left hand side of my computer)l> System

then I want you to click on the hardware tab and then push the button that says "device manager"

Look for a dvd/cd-rom drives, click the plus sign next to it, this will list what devices you have on your computer. What version of nero do you have? how did you come about getting it?

#5 365_days_gone

365_days_gone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:36 PM

OK, it says DVD/CD-ROM drives.

LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4832K

I purchased Nero 7 about a week...maybe 2? weeks ago. I believe the man said its the newest version.

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

indeed it is, i commend you for purchasing it, life has become easier for both you and I. However... it seems you are actually running a cd-r cd-rw, and with this, you can not burn dvd's. I'm afraid you need to go out and buy a dvd player... If you need help picking one out and/or installing it, bleepingcomputer can help.

#7 365_days_gone

365_days_gone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

DVD player? You mean DVD burner?

:thumbsup: I've spent hours converting and attempting...all my hard work for nothing...how much would it cost and is it easy to install physically into the computer and install on the computer?

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:12 PM

Well, cost could be dependant on where you buy it from, what are the closest computer stores to you? Yes I do mean burner :thumbsup:. They aren't wasted, they probably helped you learn more about nero then you ever wanted to know. However before all this, I'm afraid we are going through a tech check.

First and foremost, what OS are you running?

Secondly, is your computer custom? or is it store bought.

Third, if you are going to be doing the installatino we are going to need to talk about precautions, if you don't feel comfortable with opening your computer, you can ask a professional, but they usually charge more.

Once you have decided if your comfortable opening your computer, is the part where we continue or not. Oh just for the information, a DVD burner can run from anywhere from 30-120$ So it's a large price range, it all depends on how much your willing to spend, and how much time your willing to take.

#9 365_days_gone

365_days_gone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

What is OS?

It is store bought.

No I am not comfortable. There is also a sticker on the back of my computer and Im pretty sure if I take it off it will void my warrenty because I think it is there to make sure I dont go in and screw around with anything and try to rip the store off.

#10 365_days_gone

365_days_gone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

And also...do you think it would be a waste of a CD to try and burn it anyways? I just dont understand how it burned video that will play on my computer but it cant burn video for my DVD player even if Ive converted it. Im too curious.

#11 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:27 PM

Well an os is an operating system, such as windows xp, and I understand you not being comfortable, especially if stickers are involved. The reason you can have files on a cd and such, is because a cd is a storage medium just like dvd, they both can hold information, and both can hold videos, it's just that a dvd can hold about twice as much as a cd, and the way it's formatted makes it possible to play on dvd roms, the cd, is stored in a data way, so you can view the files (like a floppy disk) but you couldn't play it on a player. Take it to the store you bought it from, and tell them you want to install a dvd burner, they should help.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:10 AM

OK, it says DVD/CD-ROM drives.

ROM means read only - no burner.

Download Everest and it will tell you exactly what's in your computer, model number and everything as well as all software you have.

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by highlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:21 AM

According to the Lite On web site, sohc 4832k is a CD burner and DVD reader. It will not burn DVD's.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 365_days_gone

365_days_gone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

OK thank you.

Does anyone no of a program that will EASILY and fairly quickly convert M4a music files into MP3?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users