Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-Installing Teamviewer on Linux Mint Mate 18.0

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

I was just wondering about "Re-Installing Teamviewer on Linux Mint Mate 18.0" because I needed to do this yesterday but did not have time to test it out.  I will try it on one of my machines soon, but what are you guys thoughts on doing this:

1. A full Uninstall, and Re-Install

Or

2. Just Install Over the Existing Install/Software

I read some stuff about this but it was not all that complete, and a little outdated.  On Windows it's a simple Update via the Software GUI.

Thanks pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hiya, punk.

To be on the safe side, I'd un-install, re-boot, then re-install. I know many of you guys dislike having WINE on your systems, but that's what makes TeamViewer work in Linux.....it's essentially the 32-bit Windows 'portable' package, running under a self-contained, stripped-down WINE install, with 'pointers' to the built-in version, rather than searching the normal system paths for a WINE install.

And even though you install it, as far as TeamViewer's concerned, you haven't really 'installed' it, because of the 'portable package' business. TV's quite a complex package; more so than most folks realise, anyway.

That's my advice, mate.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

I don't think I want to use Wine Mike, I don't like change LOL.  You don't think Teamviewer works well in linux via the Installed Version?  I've only used it a few times this way, but seemed to work fine.  At least for my Client's machine, I would like to keep it simple.  I wonder if I should just use the Quick Support Version on his machine?

I have an old version of TV on there now, I wonder how I will fix that via Teamviewer now? 

In Windows, it's a simple Update, get kicked off for a few minutes, and then reconnect automatically. 

Maybe I can download QS VIA TV Old, and then Uninstall TV and Re-Install it via Quick Support...Ahh, that should work.  He is not able to help me Install this stuff on his own, and I need to do more work on his pc, but don't want to go there again if not needed.

Thanks Mike, love that Compaq Emblem and Dell in your Sig Artwork!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Hi, punk.

You misunderstand me. It does work very well in Linux.....but the TeamViewer package has WINE built-in to it; version 1.6, if I'm right. They've been building the Linux packages this way for ages. If you've used TeamViewer over the last few years, you've been using WINE, whether you like it or not..!

I'm guessing they couldn't be bothered to write a Linux package from scratch, so they've simply used the existing Windoze app.....and employed WINE as the quickest, simplest solution to make it run. No 'biggie'; it works, that's the main thing.....right?

Download the latest Linux tarball from TeamViewer GmbH's downloads page:-

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

...extract the contents, and have a look if you don't believe me.

https://download.teamviewer.com/download/teamviewer_i386.tar.xz

The contents are the same as the Ubuntu/Debian package, trust me.....and incidentally, that i386 is correct. TeamViewer has only ever been a 32-bit package, as it employs the multi-arch stuff to run on 64-bit. It needs to be 32-bit, since WINE is 32-bit; that way, they make one set of coding do the honours for I-don't-know-HOW-many different platforms.

(The team at WineHQ are working on a 64-bit version - have been for a while - but it's still not up to full public release, yet.)

Them's the facts, mate. I've been re-packaging this for Puppy for the last 4 or 5 releases (I 'inherited' the work from another Puppian, who's no longer on the forum).....so by now, I know exactly what's in there! When you remove the TeamViewer package, the built-in WINE goes with it. ....no trace of it left on your system, since it was never actually installed in the first place. TeamViewer have only used WINE like a 'shim', to make a square peg fit a round hole... Simple as that.

(You like the change of logo, do ya?)  :)

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 October 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:44 PM

Doh, I see Mike.  No, I was not following what you were saying, but yes, I believe it and know I've seen this with other software also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,398 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

Mmm! If you look on their Linux downloads page, you'll see the .deb, the .rpm, and the tarball. The tarball is the actual package; Debian/Canonical take this, add their few bits'n'bobs, and turn it into a .deb package. On the other side of the coin, RedHat, Fedora, OpenSuse et al do the same thing, and produce the .rpm package. 

I use the tarball, 'cos after unpacking, it's ready for re-packaging straight away...

TeamViewer would never ask you to install WINE on your system to run their package, so instead, they build a 'mini-version' into the package itself. It's not a full version of WINE, anyway; it just has what's necessary for the app to function. Very 'stripped-down'.

As you say, there are other apps out there which have had somewhat similar treatment.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 October 2017 - 04:18 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users