Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto-correct query, is this possible to do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marco772

marco772

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

Hi,

At work I have to log issues using a system that uses IE in Windows 7. For the past several months I have developed an annoying habit of typing "ot" instead of "to" and then having to go back and correct it before proceeding. As "ot" is clearly not a word, is there any way I can go into IE and tell it to autocorrect any instances of "ot" to "to"? 

This would be extremely helpful to correct my brain to fingers malfunction!

Thanks,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

Mark,

See:  https://superuser.com/questions/497391/how-to-edit-the-system-user-dictionary-in-windows-8, specifically the answer that is marked as correct.

The exact folder under the %APPDATA% folder can vary based on what Windows version you are running.  On Windows 10 it is:  %APPDATA%/Roaming/Microsoft/Spelling/en-US.  %APPDATA% is virtually always C:\Users\{your user ID}\{something here depending on Windows Version}\AppData, and you may need to have hidden folders shown because the AppData folder is normally hidden.  The easiest way I've found to determine what %APPDATA% is on any given system is to open Command Prompt under the user id whose APPDATA folder I'm trying to locate and then type cd %APPDATA%.  The folder now shown as the actual prompt in Command Prompt is your APPDATA folder.

Then you'd need to tweak the default.acl file, using Notepad, to contain ot|to in the list that's in it.

Please report back as to whether you tried this and whether it worked for you.  I don't have a Windows 7 system at hand to try this on.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 marco772

marco772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

Thank you very much! Just testing this in Win10 and it worked a treat. Will try it on my work PC tomorrow and let you know. :)

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Mark,

Wonderful!!   I hope your work IT people (unless you are your "work IT people") will let you tweak this file or will promptly tweak it for you.  

Do report back on how it works on Win7 and if %APPDATA% resolves to something else as far as the path under Win7.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users