Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen/Purple lines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cylace

Cylace

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

Hello,

I was using my computer the other day when randomly the screen flashed and froze black with dull vertical lines. I left the PC for 15 mins and nothing happened so I decided to restart it.

After the windows logo I get a permanent black screen.

Specs:

Intel i7-5820k @ 3.30 GHz

Sapphire HD 7850 2GB

Asrock Extreme3 X99 (socket 2011)

Thermal take Litepower 750W

Kingston 8GB - 1600

Samsung EVO 250 + 512 SSD

The problem started on windows 10, I have since tried a clean install of 10 & 7, no change except the computer force restarts after 10 seconds of black screen on windows 7 (after the logo still)

Installing the driver software causes the problem to start again from a fresh install, along with the automatic driver updates on windows 10.

I have tried multiple older version for my GPU driver and it's still the same.

I get small visual distortions all around the monitor without the GPU driver installed, coloured lines going up and down I can post an image if that would help.

Hoping this isn't a faulty GPU as I'm a poor uni student and the GPU is more than 2 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2017 - 12:33 PM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cylace

Cylace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

Still can't figure it out, tried installing on different ssd/hdd also

Should I just assume I need another GPU at this point?

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

Hello Cylace,

I get small visual distortions all around the monitor without the GPU driver installed, coloured lines going up and down 

Does the above mean that you can actually run the computer as long as you do not try installing any drivers specific to your HD 7850, if yes, try restarting in Safe Mode to see if the distortions are still the same.

Another test you may be able to do if you or someone close by has a notebook with an appropriate video port, try your video cable and screen hooked up to the notebook to see if the problem is replicated there, alternatively, test your PC with an alternative/appropriate screen

#4 Cylace

Cylace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for your reply

That's correct, the computer runs but minor distortions are visible in safe mode or before drivers are installed. Turning off automatic driver installation on a fresh format of both W7 and W10 allows me to continue using the display, with the graphical distortions. As soon as I turn auto driver updates back on or install the drivers manually the computer black screens and I have to run in safemode to uninstall my 7850 graphics driver to remove the black screens.

I have tried my PC with multiple monitors/cords and it has the same black screen issues and visual distortions on all of them. 

Edited by Cylace, 24 October 2017 - 06:12 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

How to view all Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 applications, App Store applications, and third party applicaions installed on your computer.  This will not list Portable Applications.

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste shell:appsfolder, then click/tap on OK.

Edited by dc3, 24 October 2017 - 11:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

That's correct, the computer runs but minor distortions are visible in safe mode or before drivers are installed. 

I have tried my PC with multiple monitors/cords and it has the same black screen issues and visual distortions on all of them. 

Suggests a hardware issue, either the GPU or PSU unfortunately  :(

Thermal take Litepower 750W

Not a good PSU when out of the box new, only produced 610W when tested, no efficiency rating, could potentially be up to six years old and so four years out of warranty, would suggest that if possible you swap in a known good adequately powered PSU for testing as a starting point, alternatively, have your card and/or PSU tested by a local tech or tech store that has the appropriate equipment for testing both under load.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users