Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creators Update - No Mixed Reality!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hi guys, after nearly 11 years of Vista, I'm still getting used to W10, ...and struggling!

Just managed to get my track pad back after M$ in it's wisdom installed the dratted current driver which won't work with my PC (Medion Erazer X6823 MD98254) despite being set to never update drivers, Grrr.

I have seen a video on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1tkamF-yYM&feature=em-subs_digest-vrecs  which mentions "Mixed Reality", however the Settings screen shown has three more icons than the Settings screen on my freshly updated W 10 home OS.

the additional icons are "Phone", "Cortana" and "Mixed Reality".

Whilst I have, somewhere on my exploratory forays, seen mention of "phone sync", it has only been for Windows phones, not Android or IOS, so I doubt that icon will be missed!

Cortana, I already have "tuned out" via her own "Settings Icon" within the application.

Mixed Reality I have not encountered and it seems I never will unless the missing Icon can somehow be added to my Settings screen granting me a portal through which to travel! :)

Can anyone explain these apparent anomalies to me :scratchhead:   

Edited by six-h, 22 October 2017 - 09:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Under Settings > System > About post your version and build of Windows 10.

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hi JohnC_21, Version is 1703, Build 15063.674

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

You will get mixed reality when the computer it upgraded to the Fall Creator's Update version 1709. Wait and eventually Microsoft will push the update to your computer.

#5 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

Now I'm totally confused!

What on earth was the update I endured a couple of days ago which took over 40 minutes to complete and several re-starts, not to mention riding roughshod over my explicit instructions to "leave the sodding trackpad driver alone!"?  :scratchhead: 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

Here's the thing with Windows 10. They push out updates in steps. As of a few weeks ago there still was a lot of people who never received the Creator's update, the one you currently have. It may be months before you get the Fall Creator's Update. I would avoid installing the Fall Creator's update manually.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 October 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#7 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for that JohnC_21, The last thing I want is to disrupt my system more than necessary, I will do as you advise and wait for the 1709 update to be offered.

I've probably received the 1703 update a bit later than intended as I have not been using this laptop since perhaps May because Vista was "easier"!

Same goes for my NUC machine which I built last summer. It has WIN 10 PRO on it but again, I've not used it since May, (still haven't) for the same reason!

Maybe a good idea to give that an airing too, though I dread the thought of what 1703 might "break" on that machine! 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

I would advise doing a complete disk image to an external drive should any major updrade goes bad. It let would let you easily revert should something go wrong with a major upgrade. Software than can do this for free is Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper Standard, and Easue Todo Backup Free. Aomei and Easeus can also do file/folder backup with Easeus being more intuitive as it lets you select all your file and folders in one window.

#9 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for that advice, I've got Macrium Reflect Installed on the NUC, though I've not used it.

Easeus sounds as if it's directed more at my level of "inexpertise"!

Might give that a try.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, for your standalone Windows 10 Easeus is a good option.

https://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 October 2017 - 12:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users