Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen has green tint and ghost images

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Knikkey

Knikkey

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

I was watching shows on Netflix when all of a sudden my screen gets a weird green tint. I didn't touch the computer. It just happened all of a sudden. I tried updating my graphics card driver and Windows to fix the problem but it didn't work. I also tried restarting, system restoring, and starting in safe mode and the green tint doesn't go away. On top of that, the screen will leave a light after-image of previous windows on black parts of the screen. I'm assuming it's a hardware issue, but I wanted to check and see if there was anything else I could do to make sure it isn't a software issue that I can fix on my own. Just sending the machine in for repairs costs $200+ USD and I really don't want to do that. Especially considering I had just sent this machine in for an RMA like 3 months ago for a different problem.

I've attached 2 photos so you can see what I'm talking about. I took them with my phone instead of a screenshot because I figured the color distortion wouldn't show with a screenshot.

I also don't know if this means anything, but under Device Manager > Monitor > Properties > Events, this was there:

Device DISPLAY\LGD046C\5&3a12d022&2&UID4353 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: DISPLAY\LGD046C\5&3a12d022&0&UID4353
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path: ACPI(_SB_)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(PEG0)#ACPI(PEGP)#ACPI(LCD0)
Migration Rank: 0xF000000000000100
Present: false

Specs:
Windows 10
Sager NP8172-S (Clevo P670RP6)

If there's any other information I need to provide please let me know. Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:36 AM

If reinstalling the graphics driver does not help I would have to hazard a guess your graphics card/chipset has failed. I have the same issue on an old XP computer with a Geforce card. Changed monitors and still had the green tint. This indicates you have lost the red and or blue. There is not much you can do other than use the computer as is, get it fixed, or purchase a new computer. 

This computer has two chipsets for graphics, Intel and Nvidia?

#3 Knikkey

Knikkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

If reinstalling the graphics driver does not help I would have to hazard a guess your graphics card/chipset has failed. I have the same issue on an old XP computer with a Geforce card. Changed monitors and still had the green tint. This indicates you have lost the red and or blue. There is not much you can do other than use the computer as is, get it fixed, or purchase a new computer. 

This computer has two chipsets for graphics, Intel and Nvidia?

I think I've definitely lost the red because a lot of red things on my screen are greyed out. Yeah I did do a clean installation of the Nvidia driver when I updated :(

I'm not sure about Intel. When I open device manager only Nvidia shows up under Display Adapters. Or would the Intel one show up somewhere else?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

I was looking at the Sager support site but only found NP8172 and saw device drivers for both intel and nvidia. I could not find the support page for NP8172-S. If you can find the support site for this version look at the specs to determine if the computer came with two chipsets. Your BIOS may show both chipsets if you have two.

#5 Knikkey

Knikkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

I was looking at the Sager support site but only found NP8172 and saw device drivers for both intel and nvidia. I could not find the support page for NP8172-S. If you can find the support site for this version look at the specs to determine if the computer came with two chipsets. Your BIOS may show both chipsets if you have two.

Yeah I can't find the support page for S either. I checked my BIOS and I didn't find an Intel chipset.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

The Clevo number you posted only shows the nvidia chipset.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2WC-000R-000U3

#7 Knikkey

Knikkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

The Clevo number you posted only shows the nvidia chipset.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2WC-000R-000U3

Damn. So it turns out to be a hardware issue after all?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

I would say yes, it is a hardware problem. When you boot to your BIOS screen you still have the green tint, correct? If you want to confirm it you can boot a live linux disk and if you get this tinted screen through the boot process then your graphics chipset is bad.

#9 Knikkey

Knikkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:23 AM

I would say yes, it is a hardware problem. When you boot to your BIOS screen you still have the green tint, correct? If you want to confirm it you can boot a live linux disk and if you get this tinted screen through the boot process then your graphics chipset is bad.

Yeah I still have the green tint in BIOS screen. Welp, that sucks. Would the GPU also be the culprit for the ghosting? It happened soon after the green thing happened.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Yes, I believe that the ghosting is also GPU related, sorry. You may be able to get the screen somewhat readable but still with the tint by changing the color settings like Gamma for each color in the dropdown box in the Nvidia Control Panel settings.

AgnDb.png

#11 Knikkey

Knikkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

Thanks. I did this and it looks a little better than before. It's a shame about the card though. I guess I learned to stay away from Sager and XoticPC the hard way.

#12 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

no said anything about cables, did you unplug video cables and plug back in making sure they are snug?   usually a loose cable will do what your pictures are doings

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

no said anything about cables, did you unplug video cables and plug back in making sure they are snug?   usually a loose cable will do what your pictures are doings

Being a laptop I think the chances of a loose display cable are slim but possible. I could not find a teardown guide for the above Sager model. The closest I could find was a video of the NP8561. The cable connection to the display is about 3:30 into the video. The connection to the MB would require almost a complete teardown.

Edit: The one thing I forgot was to try an external monitor and see if the tint was present.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 October 2017 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users