Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display lose when gaming

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 typod

typod

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

Hi,

I have just build a new system with the following specs:

Intel i7 8700
Asus Maximum ROG X
16 GB 3200 DDR4
Kraken X52 AIO
650w Seasonic Prime Gold Power Supply

I carried over the 970 GTX from my old system while I wait and see what will happen with the 1070 Ti

In the old system everyone works fine but I am having some issues with the new build and I am hoping that someone with better hardware knowledge than me can help.

During normal usage the PC is fine, quick and generally great. But when gaming, for no apparent reason both monitors go into power saving mode at random intervals and never come back. The PC doesn't crash, or bluescreen as far as I can tell it stays responsive but both monitors loose their feed. When this happens I have tried to plug one of the cables into the internal adapter but still get nothing.  The only way to get the display back is to reboot.

I have also tried:

Checking all the temps
Reinstalling Windows
Running 3d Mark
Stress test on the CPU
Checking everything is connected
Disabled hibernation and powersaving etc

In all my stress tests it seems to work fine, it's only when I start gaming that I have the problem and it's really annoying. Can anyone help send some light on what might be the cause of the issue as I am stumped. Next start is to start buying new bits one by one and see what fixes it.

For some reason I suspect my GPU and most of the time when the monitors loose their feed and the add remove hardware sound pings the default sound device changes from my sound card to one of my monitors.

Any advice would be great as I am not sure where to go from there.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2017 - 08:58 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hello typod,

The PC doesn't crash, or bluescreen as far as I can tell it stays responsive but both monitors loose their feed. **When this happens I have tried to plug one of the cables into the internal adapter but still get nothing.  The only way to get the display back is to reboot.

That would normally suggest a problem with the GPU and/or overheating.

**  If you are doing this when the computer is powered up it is not a good idea and for the following two reasons: 1: As small as the current may be it is possible to short out the GPU and worse case scenario other hardware. 2: Not available on all MBs and unless configured in the BIOS to do so, onboard video ports are disabled by default in the BIOS on boot when the presence of an add on video card is detected by the BIOS, this regardless of whether the add on GPU is working or not. 

As an initial test if possible, remove the GTX 970 from the motherboard, hook up the two displays to the HDMI and Display ports on the MB and test by doing some gaming and see how it goes.

#3 typod

typod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thanks, trying the onboard card was my next step.  From monitoring the temps it doesn't look like the GPU is overheating, but I will confirm again and check the BIOS to see if the internal card is enabled as well.

I did buy a 1070 just in case :)  I will send it back if I can get this working as I really wanted to wait for the next gen cards.

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

Aye you have high end kit there so would not expect to see overheating but always air on the side of caution and mention the possibility as high voltage can cause it.

Will look out to see how it went using only the onboard video for the two screens and good luck  :thumbup2:  

#5 typod

typod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:16 AM

A quick update.  The 1070 works flawlessly in the new setup which is a bonus.  What's odd is that the 970 also works fine when I transferred it back to it's original PC.  Very strange.

#6 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

A quick update.  The 1070 works flawlessly in the new setup which is a bonus.  

Which new set up would that be typod, have you upgraded again!

What's odd is that the 970 also works fine when I transferred it back to it's original PC.  Very strange.

That`s computers and their hardware for you, anyone that can work out the reason as to why this happens will most likely become very rich  :)

#7 typod

typod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

Which new set up would that be typod, have you upgraded again!

No way I could get another upgrade past the wife  :orange: 

I was referring to the 8700 as the new setup which has the 1070 installed and working.  I was hoping I didn't need to buy a new card as my 970 in my old PC does fine for my usage, but it's not the end of the world.  I just wish I knew why the 970 works in my old PC and not the new.  If I ever figure it out and monetise it I will let you know, but it's probably magic  :tophat: 

#8 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

As an initial test if possible, remove the GTX 970 from the motherboard, hook up the two displays to the HDMI and Display ports on the MB and test by doing some gaming and see how it goes.

Did you try this.

In addition to trying the above, try uninstalling all of the present Nvidea software on your computer, shut down the computer and swap in the GTX 970, restart the computer and see if the computer will boot using the generic video drivers, if offered and driver updates by Windows decline them, keep using the computer and post back with an update for us.

NB: Download Display Driver Uninstaller DDU from here this will make sure that all of the Nvidea software gets removed.

#9 typod

typod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:34 AM

Did you try this.

In addition to trying the above, try uninstalling all of the present Nvidea software on your computer, shut down the computer and swap in the GTX 970, restart the computer and see if the computer will boot using the generic video drivers, if offered and driver updates by Windows decline them, keep using the computer and post back with an update for us.

NB: Download Display Driver Uninstaller DDU from here this will make sure that all of the Nvidea software gets removed.

Sorry about the delay, I have been away.  I tried removing the driver/card completely and still had no luck, on the internal GPU it was fine, no crashes at all.  It was slow as hell but didn't crash.  The 970 has gone with the old PC now so I will stick with the 1070Ti.  I managed to changed the 1070 for a 1070Ti so thats it as far as upgrades go for a while.  Thankfully it's working well and my PC Mark scores are respectable.  Cheers

Edited by typod, 11 November 2017 - 05:36 AM.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 340 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

No worries typod as we understand that folk have other things going on to attend to. 

I tried removing the driver/card completely and still had no luck, on the internal GPU it was fine, no crashes at all.  It was slow as hell but didn't crash. 

Which effectively confirmed that it was a problem with the GTX 970 and that upgrading the video card was both required and financially justified  <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users